What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where can I get large quantities of purified water for my plants?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
My plants don't seem to be doing so good, and I think it's because of the water I've been giving them. When I was at my university last year, I gave my Nepenthes Ventricosa tap water and it thrived. Therefore, I've been giving my outdoor plants tap water, and my plants appear to be getting smaller and weaker. For example, my Drosera Capensis is producing really small leaves and the leaves won't curl around insects. My Sarracenia have really slow growth, and my new Pinguicula Caerulea is really small.

It appears I have to give them purified water. However, there's a drought where I live (Florida) and I don't want to buy gallons of distilled water because it's too expensive.

Any suggestions?

If you have connections at the university you can do what I do and swipe some from the chem or botany labs either that or its time to invest in a good RO unit.

Rainwater! Also, you need to transplant your capensis because the crown is too far from the surface of the peat moss.

Happy growing.

That would be because Nepenthes have a higher tolerance to ppm in water, I think. Just buy gallons of distilled at a grocery store, they're not even $1 each. Or just install an RO system (which is about $100, I think. :x).

I'm thinkng of transplanting all my plants back into a minibog because I think they hold lots of water and don't evaporate as much.

As for rainwater, it rarely rains here.

Also, the Drosera Capensis is a narrow-leaf, so it doesn't produce a stem.

As for rainwater, it rarely rains here.

It's still a bit early. When summer comes, it'll be pouring like usual....Hopefully. Just no hurricanes, kthx.

Are there water vending machines around? Try WalMart. If so look at the machine and see if it using reverse osmosis to purify the water and not adding salt or anything.

In Southern California vending machines are all over the place at $0.30 a gallon.

Ugh, I wish we had those vending machines here. I can sometimes go through about 6 gallons of distilled water a week.

Back