What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

well i plan on taking the vfts out for the winter months...

It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. The plant needs to be outside for a few months before winter in order to properly enter dormancy. Sticking them straight into the cold will put them in shock and probably kill them.
It needs to be done gradually.

i wish more people would try to give advice for how to achieve this, despite the complications..

I understand the frustration, but honestly, you're asking something that's close to impossible. Here in southern California, I enjoy a wonderful climate for carnivorous plants. In fact, I could probably grow all the plants you listed outdoors if I had some shade cloth for the nepenthes and sundews.

However, I would not be able to grow all of them indoors. As a rule, VFTs are outdoor plants through and through. There are a small few who break that rule, and an even smaller few who break it successfully. I think they would agree, though, that with a couple T12 bulbs and some filtered sunlight, you will not be able to grow VFTs or any other temperate plants indoors.

Is it in any way possible you could grow these in a yard or on a windowsill planter? When winter comes around, your VFTs will need to go dormant. If they are kept outside, they will initiate dormancy on their own unless you live in a hot tropical environment year-round. Without a dormancy, your flytraps will die.

We're not trying to discourage you from the hobby, we'd just hate to see you lose those fine plants.

Jason

what would you suggest i use if i want all these plants growing in the same planter and closed off on the sides so that flightless bus cant escape

what would you suggest i use if i want all these plants growing in the same planter and closed off on the sides so that flightless bus cant escape

Well, nepenthes will not coexist in the same pot as the other plants you have listed. They require a less saturated, more airy soil than the other plants. The sundews and VFTs can use the same media, but depending on your location, the weather may not be too friendly to your sundews. If you tell us your general location, we can begin to set up a good system.

Keep in mind that you'll need a large pot for all those plants. The sundews you listed will produce significant root systems when they get larger.

As for the insects, why would you need to keep bugs in? The plants will take care of that on their own. All of my outdoor plants catch more insects than I can count. I feed my indoor plants "betta bites" fish food.

Jason

I don't know... buses are pretty hard to contain, even flightless ones.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist)

I would recommend some type of window screening or chicken wire with small gaps, if you absolutely have to use it.

Mayb the terranium outside ? But the plants in pots and no lid ( you can put the lid on at your desired "feeding times") and something that is equal height to the pot so the bugs are closer to the plants ? so the bugs cant escape onto the bottom part of the terranium?

positive idea.

but a bog would be more suited for the plants (xept the nepenthes) youve mentioned.

negative idea

Just watch the temps... I put a terrarium outside with no lid (20 gal fishtank) and literally cooked my nepenthes in one afternoon and it wasn't even that hot.

Brokken puts his terraniums susessfully outside o.o

Back