What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which Plants will survive here over winter?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
Im in pittsburgh, and was wondering which plants would survive over winter in a bog garden without any protection whatsover. I was thinking maybe having a pot of these out all winter long in the pond, seeing how that goes

My guess would be anything native to areas further north. Purpurea, temperate sundews, and temperate pings.

Im in pittsburgh, and was wondering which plants would survive over winter in a bog garden without any protection whatsover. I was thinking maybe having a pot of these out all winter long in the pond, seeing how that goes

A great number of Sarracenia species will weather it with mulching, along with Darlingtonia (some of which occur at the snow line), Dionaea, and a number of temperate species already mentioned. Most of the American plants can take their share of punishment. I have even seen bog gardens in the East in sub-freezing Tbs, covered in snow during the Winter and fine and flourishing by Spring . . .

Yeah, don't let your darlingtonias freeze multiple times. If you follow that advice it's hard to go wrong, at least in the winter.

Without protection? I wouldn't chance anything in Western PA. Either mulch them or have them be portable in bring them to the attic or garage, in front of a window.

Yeah, i still would mulch and cover, because i have some other not so good for our area, but i would maybe protect a few less.

…my darlintonia froze many times during winter, its not an issue for them at all, they regularly hit freezing for a few month span from december to about march. Sarracenia usually don't mind it much either but some temperate pings and sarracenia leucophylla don't seem to take too well to the freezing

…my darlintonia froze many times during winter, its not an issue for them at all, they regularly hit freezing for a few month span from december to about march.

Don't you have the mountain kind? They're hardier.

I've had at least 4 or 5 clones from various sources, that have all perished because of multiple freezes. And no, I didn't mean like 2 months of solid cold, with regular/steady freezes... I meant something like 2 months of solid cold, a warmer month, and then a freeze at the end of that month.

I'd say if any of your plants wake up and then experience freezes, they will die.

But now I've got the mountain kind. :-D

They most certainly won't die. I can vouch for that. We had some freezes last month and my plants had already begun waking up and growing, nothing happened...mountain variety or not, coastal oregon still hits freezing quite often in winter.

Back