What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

automated RO filter change reminder utility

Freebee reminder service from Whirlpool

http://ecodyne.org/reminder.asp

They do not sell your email addy or use if for any solicitation

(If you want it to supply the correct Lowe's filter kit number for the typcial ebay system, select)

"Other product"
"WHERPF 6-MONTHS"

Av

I saw one of those Whirlpool filters at Lowes but I wasn't sure if I could hook it up to a faucet (I live in an apartment) nor was I sure it was a good enough filter for CP... Anyone have any experiences with either?

I'd probably need a pump or something for pressure if I was going to do the faucet mount thing, right?

Is this just a reminder in a year to get another filter/membrane ? I couldn't really tell from the info they had.

mcantrell, this is the one I've got. With the EC meter I picked up on Av's advice I haven't changed the membrane in ?? 2 years ?? probably 3. Either way it totally depends on your water quality as to the life span from what I've read. The meter gives me a bit of comfort though for using the water on plants.

This one won't work for just hooking it up to your faucet either. It needs to be inline somewhere and really can't be added to a rental under the sink without some real monkey business.

Droseraguy,

It is just an automated email reminder that will repeat every 6 calendar months... I do use the replacement filter kit that lowe's stocks. It comes with 2 carbon and one sediment filter. Its close to 30USD but the filter quality has proven to be very good.

Membrane life varies greatly upon conditions... but normally (typical hobbyist use) 2-3 yrs is a good metric with up to 5 possible.

If you use one too little, bacteria growth will destroy them... so when you replace one, take a whiff.... if its errrr funky then you need to use it more to get longer life :0o:

MC,

Lowe's RO units are very expensive compared to what is available on ebay. Plus some of them take non-standard prefilters (hence, more expensive and harder to find)

there are plenty of detailed threads on RO systems, just use the search function ;)

Av

Back