What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Porch Plants

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
These are mostly contributions from Bucky78, J. Foley, Mark.ca, and Rob Co, and they are in various stages of recovering from shock and coming back from dormancy.

Picture032.jpg

Picture035-3.jpg

Picture036.jpg

Picture037.jpg

Picture038-1.jpg

Picture039-1.jpg

Barring anything unforeseen, they should all look a lot better in July.

Jim,
Spring is a great time for us & our plants!

Is that a Utric on the left in your 3rd pic (U. longifolia?)?

What's that 'concrete-looking' media mix in the 4 small pots on the left (4th pic)?

Yep, a few of those look familiar! What is the Sarr in the last pic with the floppy hood?

That's a lotta plants! (did I just say that?) Looks good though! Like all the easy to fill tubs! :D

I hope you have better luck with dews outside, I see a bit of cottonwood fluff in a few of your pots, all my outdoor CPs are choked with that stuff! I just plucked as much as I could on saturday and all the tiny seedlings from my CPs. The lady next door said she can't tell her planted seedlings from the swarm of cottonwood seedlings. It's very dry this year (no rain) and it's the worst fluff season I can remember, I assume there must be a correlation. I finally found the tree, it's directly above our patios behind another huge tree which two branches fell off of, one last year and one last night. It's just so tall I never saw the hanging puffs until last night when that huge branch fell off just before dark. I thought it was just kids lighting off jumping-jack firecrackers in the park the way the cats scrambled into the house so I went to look and it was another 100 ft branch had fell off.

Ron: I'm experimenting with U. alpina, outside and the pots of concrete are actually a highly sand to peat mixture for recently sprouted pygmy sundews.

Wes: Yup, there's a whole pot of the Sarracenias you sent last year. Much thanks. I think the one you are asking about is the catesbei, off to the right.

Josh: I've seen a lot of cottonwood calling cards in the past month. I think pygmy sundews do the best for me when placed at a sunny window sill. Not all my experimenting goes well!

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Looking great! Yours Sarracenias are better looking than mine. :)

The VFT's:

Picture037-3.jpg

Picture036-1.jpg

Picture035-4.jpg

Picture034-2.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Picture032-2.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture030-2.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture028-1.jpg

Picture027-2.jpg

Picture026-2.jpg

Nice going Jim!

Very nice plants Jim, i should really get into more temperates!

They look really awesome! the darlingtonia's stunning :)

whats that sundew in the top of the picture? the one with the round leaves

whats that sundew in the top of the picture? the one with the round leaves

I'm not sure which one you mean. There's a bunch of pygmy sundews, as well as D. capensis, D. regia, D. binata, D. filiformis, 'Ivan's Paddle",....

Picture014-6.jpg
D. binata

sorry. i meant the the one in the fourth picture down.. the sundew in the top middle area.. it must be the "ivans paddle" you mentioned. whats that a hybrid of? (if it is a hybrid)

D. 'Ivan's Paddle':

The paddle-leaved sundew (Drosera × obovata)1, as author Adrian Slack calls it, is quite a familiar plant. It gets its name from leaves which are the shape of old-fashioned canoe paddles. The common natural hybrid is ever present wherever the two parent species, D. anglica and D. rotundifolia, are found growing together. Its great range extends throughout the boreal region encircling the Earth in the northern latitudes. This range also extends into temperate latitudes as in northern California where I first encountered it. Slack describes this sundew as “surpassing the English sundew (D. anglica) in size and magnificence”. I was smitten. This new unique cultivar of the hybrid was originally created by cross pollination in July of 2001.

Back