What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 30-40 TDS good enough?

• Thread starter mcantrell
  • Start date
I got a cheap "WaterMaker Mini" faucet mount RO filter. It's a bit slow -- 10 GPD -- but it was a good price. The water tests at about 35-39 TDS, but this is the initial batch, it's already been used (so should have already been primed) but it says to leave it on for 4 hours before using the water... So... maybe it'll get better?

But, assuming it doesn't -- is 35-40 TDS good enough?

It is. Lucky boy :( CA water is wayy too hard to use.

My tap water is that good! 20-40 TDS. I still RO it and it gets down to 5-20 TDS.

My tap water is that good! 20-40 TDS. I still RO it and it gets down to 5-20 TDS.

You are lucky . . .

My water source ranks an ignoble 540-600 ppm. For such creepy, predatory plants, they are "panty-waists" when it comes to their water; also, RO filters here don't make it four months . . .

My tap water is 300-360 or so, so the RO filter taking it down to 35ish should be ok? Awesome. :) Already filled up 1 gallon, need to get some longer tubing to try and get it into a 5 gallon jug. :)

Atascadero, the city my ex is from, has incredibly terrible water quality. When you get the water from the tap, it's cloudy. Their dishwasher looked like a giant calcium deposit cavern. You're definitely lucky to have nice water like that.

Jason

At school if you put some water into a bottle, its really really cloudy, its like milk + water. Ech gross.

nice man, soft water is a rare thing now
ours averages around 20-25PPM

I think you guys are misunderstanding me... AFTER using the RO filter, the water is 35-39. Normally it's 350-375ish.

Mine is around 150. I don't worry about it. I use it for all my outdoor CPs. There's enough chlorine to smell it. The Sphagnum doesn't care.

like crystal said, 150ppm will even work fine, but the key is that since her plants are outdoors, they will get top-watered by the rain. If you plan to use the tray method indoors, just make sure you top-water the pots every 2 or so weeks. I had a large pot that I filled the tray with 0-10ppm water for 6 months, and the plants started to decline. I top-watered it and tested the tds again and it read 300. So I rinsed it 100 times (almost not exaggerating:cuss:) until the tds reading lowered to 50 ppm/got sick of pouring in water and waiting :). Just goes to show you that a little ppm can go a long way.

I use 150 ppm water in a few foot-tall sundew pots in my greenshed (a tiny greenhouse my pops and i built) and I top water every time. The plants are still doing great after a year of doing this.

So the standing water was 300 TDS or the water coming out of your filter was? I haven't been worrying too much about the water once it's IN the trays, should I?

Would a carbon post-filter be helpful to further lower the TDS?

What kind of filter did you buy? Im tired of going to the store and buying water. :(

For a new system, you should be able to get it lower than that, 8 to 0. If it's already doing 30, it's okay but personally I'd like to see it be lower. My RO filter is now running at 30 and the main membrane is over 2 years old now.

The plants will be happy with 30, but just saying the system should be 8 or less out of the box once the filters have been flushed.

Most TFC RO membranes are deisgned to have a rejection ratio of 95-99%. As an example, if your inlet to the membrane is 100ppm its outlet would be 1-5ppm. If your inlet was 1000ppm then the expected outlet would be 10-50ppm.

Of course this is highly dependent on water temperature and pressure differential across the membrane.

As a rule of thumb, any rejection ratio less then 90% is an indication something is wrong. Before a determination can be made that the membrane is at fault the inlet pressure, water temperature and brine rate must be measured.

It appears yours is running close to 90%. But with your filter's compact design it may use what is called a CTA membrane. These are resistant to chlorine but are a little less effective with a common rejection ratio of 83-95%.

On a "typical" system carbon block prefilters are used to remove the chlorine prior to entering the TFC membrane.

To remove what the membrane doesn't, demineralization by ionization is used with a mixed bed media (commonly referred to as "DI" )

Example system:
my_rodi_bw.jpg

my_rodi.jpg

blue = permeate
blk = prefiltered water
yellow = brine
red = fresh water inlet
white = bladder tank
clear = system inlet and outlets

HTH's
Av

Sorry to hijack this post, but AV have you done any before and after comparison with that pump H? I also bought one of those, and found that it was only wasting a zillion gallons of water. At times I fill up a koi tank with my RO brine water, and when I had the pump it would fill up almost the entire 50 gallon tank. (Maybe 40 gallons?) in one draining of the bladder tank. I decided to remove the pump since I have commercial building pressure, and the koi tank will only fill up about 2 - 4", (sorry can't guess how many gallons that is) during each fillling.

Maybe it was the extra pressure that was causing all the problems though, but it's just sitting in a drawer now.

-Nate

Back