What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smallest CP species for a terrarium?

Hey all,

I have a small 8x12x8" terrarium for plants only. I am looking for a small CP plant that can go in the substrate on the bottom of the tank. However, Id like to place the smallest CP species I can find, since I love small plants.

I know there are pygmy sundews, but Im not sure what if any mini species do well in terrarium settings.

Thanks for your help.

Some temperate climate US natives that would fit in that space: venus flytrapper, purple pitcher, parrot pitcher, the whole "little bug" series of pitcher plants, round leaf sundew, oblong leaf sundew, northern threadleaf sundew.

Hey all,

I have a small 8x12x8" terrarium for plants only. I am looking for a small CP plant that can go in the substrate on the bottom of the tank. However, Id like to place the smallest CP species I can find, since I love small plants.

I know there are pygmy sundews, but Im not sure what if any mini species do well in terrarium settings.

Thanks for your help.

Utrics are about as small as you get......problem with sundews is they tend to rot without good air circulation

I would also say that utrics are as small as you can get, but they may quickly infest the whole tank.

depends on the Utric

I figured utric sandersonii would be my only choice. Someone mentioned a venus fly trap which is way larger than Id like. This is a mat growing species, correct?

U. Livida would be a good choice, grows nie and dense.

If you were to grow a highland nepenthes I would recommend nepenthes argentii

or N. glabrata. N. bellii is a good lowlander too.

D. burmanii...most utrics as people have said...try the 'petite dragon' VFT.

Will this be kept inside, or outside? Indoors will probably be easier in terms of controlling temperature and watering. Where you'll be keeping it will largely determine what you'll be able to grow. Although sundews aren't the best in enclosed conditions, something small and easy like D. spatulata or burmanii should be easy enough to satisfy. U. sandersonii is another great candidate - they flower easily and put on a good show. I would suggest that you drill some drainage holes in your container to prevent the soil from accumulating dissolved minerals. A glass/ceramic drill bit set costs about $8.
~Joe

Welcome to TF!

I would say if you do use sarracenia, grow them outside

That looks like a unique groundcover. In the past Ive used gonocormus sp. and plagiomnium sp.

Oh, and the tank will be inside if that matters.

Back