What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

red sphagnum

Ive had this unidentified east coast species growing outside for several years (full afternoon sun) . To be honest, I wasn't real impressed with it. It grew very "stringy" and the color was overly dark at the top and a funky dirty green everywhere else.

I gave up on it and thought it had perished. Well, this year I found that was still growing. So, I thought I would bring it in under the T5's and see what it would do.

Here is 3 weeks of T5 :0o:
red_sphag.jpg

Not bad at all,
Av

It looks amazing

Wow! nice sphagnum! My red sprigs are just not growing, don't know why.

Thx,

You would think I would listen to my own advice

rule #10 from my own how to grow sphagnum page LOL

10. As a rule of thumb, the more colorful the species, the higher the light level required to maintain that color level. (Almost all species can be found in green when grown under lower light conditions)

???
I hate when that happens

hehehe
Av

So the T5's have a better light intensity than the sun? That isn't a smart expletive comment I was just wondering if I missed something. I thought full sun trumped all suits.

in this case the 18hrs of T5 are better then 6-8 hours of sun, so yes...

;)

That's a gorgeous picture, for sure!

xvart.

Very nice looking moss! It's like a salad.

Wow! I guess so haha. And it is very nice by the way! :)

very nice B. Sphagnum rubellium IMO looks like the best red color moss. However I have a sneaking suspicion that there is something else like acidity that controls how red these mosses can be and can stay.

Back