What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minibog salt buildup

Hi everyone,

Might be a bit premature to start worrying, but I started a minibog 2 weeks ago using a ~4 foot diameter plastic kiddie pool and filling it with a healthy combination of live sphagnum, Canadian sphagnum peat moss, pine needles and sand. I piled the media taller on the edge while the shallow center always contains a little pool of water for wetter-loving plants. I transferred many of my plants into this, and while all are surviving, none are really thriving. It could be the drought we've been experiencing down in Houston, but many of my Sars tops and sundew leaves are browning--almost looking like what happens to CPs when watered with hard water or grown in mineral-laden/fertilized soil. I've been watering it with nothing but RO water.

Could this be due to salt buildup? Or could the sand be making the media too alkaline? What's the best way to prevent buildup or maintain acidity in a minibog like this? The minibog is undrained for now to conserve water, but this may change soon if I find out it's a salt-buildup issue. Thanks.

It could simply be an issue with acclimation of the plants to their new environment. Two weeks is a bit too soon to be worried, and the drought you mentioned could definitely be a factor . . .

Where did you have the plants before- are they "new to you" or were they in pots in a similar location to where they are now??

I would be surprised if salts could have built up to a hazardous concentration in 2 short weeks. Keep yer eye on them, but I would imagine they will stabilise before too long. It could be that the growth that was on the plants was not suited to the conditions they are now in and they are trying to get more "proper" growth developed

Like others are saying, I wouldn't really worry yet... I have some small Sarrs and a sundew that I transplanted to my terrarium, and after 5 weeks of something pretty close to the problems you describe, they are finally looking healthy and growing again.

I'm in Houston and my plants all starting browning on the tops due to the amount of heat + the drought starting in around May. If you planted the plants during the drought period then I'm sure its just a stress issue and should start clearing up with the rains we've been having. Even though sarracenias love full sun, the summer Texas sun just seems a bit too much, if you dont like the appearance of brown pitchers you could always place them in a location that doesnt get the full day sun, maybe like 4 hours or so.

~billy

Back