What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How I build a 'planted-style' terra

First start by cleaning out the aquarium.
DSCN3386.jpg

Then I used a plastic tube, long enough so it that goes from one corner of bottom of the aquarium, to the far corner, and then out so you can add a spout for watering.
DSCN3387.jpg

Drill holes in the tube at a couple inch intervals to allow water to seep out evenly.
DSCN3390.jpg

I used a candle to fill the end as to not have water seeping out the end. In the past i used a Marette with the spring inside removed, i didn't have any lying around, so i had to make due with ingenuity.
DSCN3388.jpg

Take some sand
DSCN3392.jpg

And some peat
DSCN3394.jpg

And guess what the third ingredient is?
DSCN3393.jpg

mix it all together
DSCN3395.jpg

DSCN3403.jpg

I put a small layer of vermiculite in the bottom, don't know if it changes anything... Fill terra with the mix, the weight of the peat mix should hold the tube in place.
DSCN3404.jpg

DSCN3405.jpg

That's it!
CP's not suggested for this type of terra:
D. Adelae (it just spreads too quickly from the roots)
Utrics in general (same deal) but i like the look
Sarrs : small guys are fine for a bit, but they don't look as nice as those outside in full sun.
Temperate plants (i have only had bad experiences with the following, in a terra of this type: D. rotund, D. anglica)

So how do you water? Hook it up to a pump or something? Or just a funnel?

I believe he uses a funnel made from the top of a water bottle, from what i remember.

Uh, not to be a party pooper, but doesn't vermiculite break down with prolonged exposure to water?
~Joe

Well, after one year, i can see in my original terra, that the vermiculite is still in the same condition as it looked when i first put it in... We'll just have to see in another years time to see if there are any changes. If it begins to look muddy... I might have to get my hands dirty, and a total transplanting might be needed.
Does it really matter? It,s at the bottom, and 6-8 inches of peat/sand are covering it, no one should complain (plants). Thanks for letting me know, i was unaware of that.

Back