What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aqua Globe for Self Watering ?

• Thread starter weezer
  • Start date
Aqua-Globe-F2171-.jpg

As i'm away for 1 week i'm searching a way like self watering systems.Are they enough for watering?Maybe they are good enough for normal plants but i'm not so much optimistic about working with my sarracenias. Has anyone tried them?

I doubt it.

If it's intended use is for houseplants, I wouldn't put my money on it for Sarracenia. You could probably get it to work with Nepenthes, though.

Get a big storage bin, maybe 5 bucks at Target, like this:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/images/product/2244-blue-mist_sm.jpg

Put the pots in the bin, and fill it to the top of the pots with water..
it will be many gallons, and will not dry out in a week..
and the plants wont mind an unusually high water level for only a week..it wont even phase them..

If you dont have enough "good" water, I would risk using tap water if its only for a week..
then just pour some "good" water through the pots when you get home, to flush them out..
tap water is bad because minerals build up *over time*..just sitting in tap water for only one week wont do any harm..

in a pinch, *any* water (even tap) is much better than NO water..

Scot

Why don't you try a bubbler?!

Get a big storage bin, maybe 5 bucks at Target, like this:
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/images/product/2244-blue-mist_sm.jpg

Put the pots in the bin, and fill it to the top of the pots with water..
it will be many gallons, and will not dry out in a week..
and the plants wont mind an unusually high water level for only a week..it wont even phase them..

If you dont have enough "good" water, I would risk using tap water if its only for a week..
then just pour some "good" water through the pots when you get home, to flush them out..
tap water is bad because minerals build up *over time*..just sitting in tap water for only one week wont do any harm..

in a pinch, *any* water (even tap) is much better than NO water..

Scot

I thougt that . But if i put them in high level water 4/4 , will their roots be decayed?By the way i have RO system.I havent got any problem with finding pure water.They are outside in a greenhouse.And the water evoporates quikly as you know.Maybe i should put them in my house for 1 week. I know that sarracenias are stronger then other cp's.They can handle the situations like out of watering for 1 week.

I thougt that . But if i put them in high level water 4/4 , will their roots be decayed?By the way i have RO system.I havent got any problem with finding pure water.They are outside in a greenhouse.And the water evoporates quikly as you know.Maybe i should put them in my house for 1 week. I know that sarracenias are stronger then other cp's.They can handle the situations like out of watering for 1 week.

no, the roots wont rot in a week..(im not sure what you meant by "4/4")

They can handle the situations like out of watering for 1 week

well no, not really..they wont handle being totally dry for a week!
you are MUCH better off submerging them.."too much" water is ALWAYS better than too little! ;) Sarrs in the wild often live totally flooded for weeks in the wild..they can handle it fine..

Scot

I have one of those Aqua Globe things. I just bought it a couple of weeks ago. I did stick it into my minibog just to test it. (I would not use that to actually try to keep my minibog watered). It seemed to me the water only lasted about a day. Maybe that is because my minibog is larger than a potted house plant. So it might work out alright for small pots. But I would suggest something else...like what Scotty suggested.

Back