What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will This Light Work?

Vbkid

Getting There...
I went to Lowes to purchase a fluorescent lighting unit. I just really only plan on using it for germinating sundews and perhaps growing a few plants through the winter. The tank is just 10" x 20". I ended up purchasing a twin light 2' T8 fixture. The bulbs I plan to use are 92 color rating and 5100k. The only problem is that the fixture is pretty wide so I can only fit 1 above the tank. The reason I bought it is because it was on sale for $9 compared to 16 for the twin tube T12 of which I would be able to fir 2 of. I can always return it if it is necessary to have 2 twin strips above the tank.

Any help is appreciated,
Kyle

you could always put the tank on its side and then use plexiglass and tape to cover the opening. T8s are much better than T12s. see if turning on its side will make it fit.

Alex

When I said one, I mean only one of the T8 fixtures would fit. Basically I can fit 2 T8 bulbs or 4 T12 Bulbs. And the T8 option would be cheaper but I just want to make sure that it will produce enough light for them.

T8 fixture:
[---O-------O---]

T12 fixture:
[--O--O--]

Top of Tank:
[------------------------]

Is that what you mean? Seems odd that the T8 fixture is bigger even though it has smaller lights. I'm not sure if 2 T8s are better than 4 T12s.... Hopefully one of the lighting gurus will chime in.

Jason

That's exactly what I mean. The T8 fixture actually comes with wood ends and a screen(which I wont be using) and is kinda decorative. It was marked from $32 to $9 though so I picked it up hoping it would work.

2 T12 fixtures may technically give out more light but 1 T8 is perfectly fine. The T12 bulbs also use more energy so if your looking at things from a sustainability standpoint I would go with the T8. Have you considered just using something other than a terrarium? CPlantaholic has a very efficient setup using plastic containers. Check this out for more help. www.growsundews.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. This setup seems very easy and efficient. My only concern is what to do with my plants during the winter. At school there isn't any room in our house but I have a large shed out back that I can have free run of although it doesn't have any heating.
Also, an off topic question. Where can I find one of those sterilite containers?

The sterilite containers can be found at stores like walmart. In my experience they become brittle when exposed to natural sunlight.

Well putting them outside is gonna be costly. If you put your mind to it, finding space can be very easy. Just use your imagination and pick up some sterilite containers at walmart. They are great for indoor use, and for more help just contact Cplantaholic on this topic he will help you on w/e you need. Good luck and have fun.

-Peat

Back