What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a different perspective on my plant rack

Playing with a new toy, the FLIR Model T360

I have no idea what Im doing yet, but its fun... I'm sure a good cp based thermal study can be made, but I have to learn how first.

Next week I will be attending a class to get my certificaiton in forward looking infrared thermography.. maybe we can really do something then

But for now... just for fun

Helis closest to the fan and humidifier output, top shelf nearest the lights (My Heli nursery area)
IR_0038.jpg

further away... notice the reflective energy coming from the foil lined paneling
IR_0039.jpg

further yet
IR_0040.jpg

Ceph in the far corner, greatest distance from the inlet fan and humidifier output
IR_0042.jpg

Bottom shelf, far right side (should be coolest) N. villosa is targeted
IR_0043.jpg

Moving left on the lower shelf
IR_0044.jpg

Intersting pic, these pings are on the far left, bottom shelf... notice they hold onto the heat more than anything else in their immediate area
IR_0045.jpg

very cool little camera,

Av

That's so sick! That should come handy in telling you how close you should place the light near the plants ;)

That is soooooooo wicked B!! Awsome!!! Sooo cool!! :D How much was it?? :p LOL!

Plants make heat. I would like to see if there is more heat where a dew or vft is digesting. But seriously, did you just pay $17K for that?

It was via a grant for lab use... you dont buy something like that on a teacher's salary LOL

Second thought on the ping pic, probably reflecting energy more then storing, I would have to turn off the light and see for sure I think

Anyways, looking forward to the class.. Its an amazing device with a multitude of applications

here I can see the inside of a motor while it is in operation, notice the rotor shaft and wiring
IR_0024.jpg

And here one of my students is trying to diagnose a bad pressure valve, notice the heat of both lines.... this valve is open, fluid is flowing (It shouldnt have been)
IR_0003.jpg

and a quickie of light fixture from my main rack, easy to see the location of the primary and seconday ballast
IR_0049.jpg

Ive got some CP based ideas, compare potting mixes, compare reflective materials, study the thermal dynamics of the plants etc

just too cool
Av

Very interesting.

So how do you keep your plants that cool with such hot lights in there?

Fans and ultrasonic humidifier run whenever lights are on. The two are mixed as they enter the grow rack and flow between the plants and the light.

(endothermic process)

Av

Plants make heat. I would like to see if there is more heat where a dew or vft is digesting. But seriously, did you just pay $17K for that?

Plants don't really make much heat, they reflect infrared and chlorophyll fluoresces at near infrared spectra. When I messed around with infrared film (black and white) in my photography class green leaves almost always come out very light.

http://science.hq.nasa.gov/kids/imagers/ems/infrared.html
http://glsmyth.com/Infrared/Articles/Rethink/rethink.htm

Back