What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is a humid enclosure necessary?

I am interested in growing nepenthes, sundews, and VFTs indoors under artificial light. I have grown other types of plants in the past under two 40W fluorescent tubes, using planters exposed to the open air with water trays beneath. I was wondering if this type of setup will work for some types of CPs. I see a lot of people here growing their CPs inside terrariums typically using aquarium containers, but I was wondering if an open-air setup might work or if it would lack the necessary humidity.

If a setup like this has been done before, pictures would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

depends on what your growing and what your conditions are.....and VFT's do poorly under artificial light 99.9% of the time....

With Nepenthes, you'll probably need more humidity

The VFT goes outside. It will die if you try to grow it indoors, especially with that lighting. Put it outside in full sun, and keep it nice and wet. The Nepenthes and Droseras should be fine in an open-air setup. Nepenthes can adapt to lower humidity, but some are picky. What Nepenthes are you thinking of growing?

I am particularly interested in Nepenthes...

depends on you house hold conditions....varies from species to species.....ventricosa has done fine for me in 15% but humidity that low will kill others....others will grow fine in low humidity but not pitcher.......

I have not done too much research into the particular type of Nepenthes. Any suggestions for this type of setup?

lets start here.....where do you live?

Southern California - low humidity for sure.

I live in Sunnyvale. Dry and hot. I grow all of my Nepenthes in low humidity, but some don't pitcher.

alright.....ventricosa, x Ventrata are good ones to start with.....bongso does fine in lower humidity.....check hybrids with ventricosa in them.......

I usually have a few Nepenthes poking around the house on the West or South windowsills. They do fine even during the Winter when the air is very dry from the cold and the woodstove and baseboard heating. Just have to stick with the more durable plants like Rattler mentions. N. maxima and maxima hybrids are also good plants to start with.

Tony, for the winter, are you also supplementing the window sill light with some artificial lighting. Mine would stop pitchering if left to our winter photoperiod alone.

N. x gentle or velvet
N. x red leopard
N. truncata pasian highland
N. x gothica
N. sanguinea
N. ventricosa
Those plants for sure can be grown in windowsill conditions. The only thing is they will have to acclimate depending on where they came from and this can take a while. A few months to a year.

Tony, for the winter, are you also supplementing the window sill light with some artificial lighting. Mine would stop pitchering if left to our winter photoperiod alone.

I don't do any artificial lighting. I am still trying to figure out if I can do that in the new greenhouse, because there is deffinately a negative effect from the reduced photoperiod and weaker light intensity. I find some plants are affected more by it than others. Some just keep on growing and pitchering fine.

Back