What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting for a 3 foot tank

Hi,im thinking of setting up a 3 foot tank terranium to grow highland nepenthes around december this year. Ive got an empty 3 foot tank thats not in use in the garage but no hood and stand.

I was wondering would a twin 3 foot light tube set be adequate lighting for the tank? I think its 36 watts x 2 phillips flourecent tube which is around 5200 lumens altogether the cooldaylight ones. I would have the entire tank covered most of the day with reflective material to reflect the light back in.

Id also probably have the plants raised abit so the distance from the light wouldnt be too much...

If its inadequate what alternatives do i have and would flourescent flood lights work?

3 foot lights are very difficult to find in my experiences. I have a place where I got mine but the store is not open to the general public, it's for contractors. So you either I have to be a contractor or you have to have connections. Even at cost (before marked up by distributors) it was $50. I'm not sure about aquarium fixtures, but as for fixtures from the hardware store, they're extremely hard to find.

I'm guessing the fixture you have is an aquarium fixture. It sounds sufficient for nepenthes. I've used two 40 watt flourescents before, 36 watt should be fine. However, the closer the plants are to the light, the better.

A 36in T12 is only 30 watts with about 2300 lumens for a cool white bulb. If it is the energy saver T8 then it is 25 watts and about 2000 lumens each.

So unless you plan to grow your plants within a few inches of the tubes you need more light. Personally I would scrap the 36" tubes. They are expensive and not all that common. I think you would be much better off with a couple 65 watt or so compact fluorescent bulbs

Hi , ive decided to use compact fluorescent lights
just where can i buy the fixtures to screw the bulbs in ?
elights206454517726.gif

looking for that type of fixture to screw the bulb in then place that in the hood

Back