What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The GrowLab GL145 indoor grow enclosure! (Bandwidth intensive!)

Well, if you've been in the chat room, you've probably heard me excitedly talking about my new grow arrangement that I've ordered and now have fully assembled. I want to create a thread to share with you my thoughts and pictures of this new product.

Now, I understand something like this may not be for everyone, like lucky people who live in a nice state like Washington or Oregon. However, if you live in a desert like me, or simply want to grow more plants than can be reasonably grown in Lowes rack without some serious modifications while maintaining a controlled environment, this may be just the answer you're looking for.

After researching for weeks and trying to find a good solution that would last me some time without costing a fortune, I finally came across the GrowLab GL145 indoor grow room.

IMG_6663.JPG.php

The GL145 is 4'9" x 4'9" x 6'7" and is made of rugged materials built to withstand humidity, heat, and light. Inside is a reflective fabric similar to mylar, but apparently better for applications such as this. There are multiple vents in the sides, and even a vent in the top. There are electrical also ports in the back, up high and down low, so that you can run an extension cord inside. Setting it up took some time but was something I was able to accomplish on my own without too much struggle. With two people, it would be a cake walk. Below are some pictures of how I have things setup inside as well as the nice temperature and humidity level I'm able to maintain inside it even in the dead of summer. I'm no professional, but from my experience so far, I have little doubt that this thing will last me for years.

IMG_6659.JPG.php

IMG_6661.JPG.php

IMG_6654.JPG.php

While there are many sizes, I picked the GL145 because it was large enough to fit a Lowes rack in but small enough it could fit in my small basement office without taking over the whole room (however it does take up a full 1/4th of it!). Below is a picture of the GL145 with the door open.

IMG_6655.JPG.php

The engineers at HomeBox and Everest Garden Supply have come up with something that makes this indoor grow room unique compared to the others out there. Windows! While this doesn't appeal to many pot-growing pot-head group, for us CP growers, it's great to be able to view and admire our plants without having to let out the humidity, etc. Additionally, as you can see in the first photo above, you can close the windows (velcro) and you won't see a bit of light coming out of the box.

IMG_6648.JPG.php

IMG_6649.JPG.php

IMG_6650.JPG.php

Even with a Lowes rack inside, there is space available for more plants. In fact, the ceiling is capable of handing a significant amount of weight (somewhere around 100lbs I believe) meaning you could hang some pots from the ceiling if you wanted. Below are some pictures of my plants in the GL145.

IMG_6656.JPG.php

IMG_6657.JPG.php

IMG_6658.JPG.php

IMG_6660.JPG.php

IMG_6662.JPG.php

For more information, check out the information on the GrowLab series at Everest Garden Supply. Additionally, I recommend purchasing from the same store I purchased mine from, http://www.gardenspout.com. I was able to talk to the owner at some length before purchasing the tent to get the best information possible before buying and I highly recommend them.

Your attached images didn't work. I'm very curious though.
~Joe

wow man... lotsa room... so you gonna sleep in there? xD

you've got a hell of a collection now... so fast!

Spiffy. How warm does it get in the top of the enclosure? Do you have the plants at the bottom because there's a noticeable difference?
~Joe

Spiffy. How warm does it get in the top of the enclosure? Do you have the plants at the bottom because there's a noticeable difference?
~Joe

I actually measured that very thing earlier today. The temps and humidity were almost exactly the same on the top shelf. Part of that is because I have a fan in there circulating the air, helping move in fresh air, but also keeping the heat and humidity more even at all levels. The plants at the bottom are simply my biggest plants, but they are also HighLand plants. I will be likely putting an aquarium of LowLand plants up on the top shelf, and some more highland on the empty middle shelf.

Overall, I'm very pleasantly surprised at the temperatures and humidity levels inside the grow room. If it ever gets to hot, I simply open one of the top vents a bit and that solves the problem. So far I've made a single adjustment and now every day the temps are exactly the same.

Awesome stuff. Lot 'o Nepenthes. :)

looks good man! I told you those things work great. just keep in mind the more lights you add the hotter it will get. Look into getting a duct fan for it. That will take care of the heat and you won't need the desk fan anymore.

Woah! That looks really cool! And very nice Nepenthes

Woah! That looks really cool! And very nice Nepenthes

Thanks! I'm hoping to turn this into a grow room for strictly highland Nepenthes, Heliamphora, and Cephalotus. Hopefully the conditions will be conducive to all three.

spectacular setup man!! WOW!! I wish I had something like that. very very nice!!

Wow! Looks great! Do you cool it off at night? If so, how.

Wow! Looks great! Do you cool it off at night? If so, how.

Here is the dynamic of the setup and it's location.

The GL145 is located in my office in the basement of my house. In the morning, the sun shines through the east window and beams light into the office, and a little bit into the GL145. The temperature rises to about 78F. Once the sun no longer shines through the window, the temperature falls to around 75F and stays in the 70-78F range the rest of the day. Once the lights shut off, the humidity rapidly increases and the temperature falls fairly quickly down to the low 70's. As night progresses and the temperature in the basement drops, the temperature in the GL145 falls down into the mid to low 60's. Come wintertime here in Utah, that temperature will likely dip into the 50's.

So some of the cooling comes from having a basement, a luxury many of you won't have because of water tables or other environmental conditions that preclude you from having a basement. However, other cooling comes from the evaporative cooling of the ultrasonid humidifier mixed with the fresh air that comes in the vents in the bottom and the hot air leaving the ports in the top.

Hopefully that answers your question. :)

xantius

That is a nice setup there. Now I might have to look in to trying to make one or just buy one. Maybe if you get a big enough one you can fit a freezer in and have it turn on at night cooling everything down.

Here is the dynamic of the setup and it's location.

The GL145 is located in my office in the basement of my house. In the morning, the sun shines through the east window and beams light into the office, and a little bit into the GL145. The temperature rises to about 78F. Once the sun no longer shines through the window, the temperature falls to around 75F and stays in the 70-78F range the rest of the day. Once the lights shut off, the humidity rapidly increases and the temperature falls fairly quickly down to the low 70's. As night progresses and the temperature in the basement drops, the temperature in the GL145 falls down into the mid to low 60's. Come wintertime here in Utah, that temperature will likely dip into the 50's.

So some of the cooling comes from having a basement, a luxury many of you won't have because of water tables or other environmental conditions that preclude you from having a basement. However, other cooling comes from the evaporative cooling of the ultrasonid humidifier mixed with the fresh air that comes in the vents in the bottom and the hot air leaving the ports in the top.

Hopefully that answers your question. :)

xantius

I have a garage, and my parents turned it into an office. Is that the same as a basement.. as I don't really feel any cool air or anything cool here. No windows too.

I have a garage, and my parents turned it into an office. Is that the same as a basement.. as I don't really feel any cool air or anything cool here. No windows too.

No. A basement is usually at least partially under the soil level, if not totally. This keeps the temps fairly low in there.

BTW, I checked out Xantius's growlab yesterday. I must say I am seriously considering one now. I just need to find the room for it, and somehow convince the mrs. I'm worth it!

Thank you for sharing this information about your set-up; very informative!! Your plants certainly seem to like it....

I think that might be the coolest thing I've seen in months. I may look into getting one of these at some point as well.

Congrats, have fun with it! :)

Back