What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need a diagnosis.

I have a mini-bog outside. It is full of sarr's and vft's. It has plugged drain holes and so is functionally undrained. Growing in lfs/peat/bark. It gets full sun all day, minimum of 12 hrs. Mostly rain watered. Topped off occasionally with low ppm well water. The sarrs are thriving. The vft's have not developed any color and are not growing much. The traps die after 1 catch and the new traps are not growing any faster than the old ones are dying. They look alright just not doing real well. No signs of pests. It may be on the dry side at times, but I would think that would affect the sarrs more than the vft's. I am thinking mineral build up. Is there anything else it could be? :scratch: Thanks.

Could it be shaded by the sarracenia?

Any pictures?

Insufficient light would decrease the health of the plants, so as Halt suggested, are the Sarracenias shading it?

If you position the VFT's south of the sarracenia, they'll never be in the sarracenia's shadow

My bogs have drain holes drilled about 1-2" from the top of the container. This is so the bog will not flood all the way to the top during rains drowning the plants. Now some cp's like flooding, some don't. In my experance the vft's don't like thier rhizome under water. Sarr's don't mind a little drying out plus their roots reach deeper then the vft's. So it could be your flooding the rhizome of the vft's too much. Just a thought.

definetely not shaded. The sarrs aren't that big (all 3 years or less ,many still seedlings) and most of the vfts are facing south already. They get full sun the whole day.

Hmm, I grow adult venus flytraps totally waterlogged (just like you) and I've found that smaller plants like the soil slightly drier. Too much water for long periods of time will make smaller vft's unhappy, especially if in shaded conditions.

The less water, the less root development. The very successful growers that live in the desert SW (xscd) keep VFT's hydrated but not waterlogged.

Thanks for all of the advice. I am thinking I am going to put them in the ground and do up a proper bog this fall before it gets cold. Hopefully whatever it is will be corrected with that. It would be better insulation from the cold. Some fo my vft's didn't make it through last winter in the mini-bog.

Back