What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New "Grow Rack" Setup

I'm sure you all have better setups and have seen much better, but I'm pretty excited about what I've got so far.

It's a 6' bookshelf with mostly books & dvds, but one shelf I've dedicated to my VFTs. I bought a emergency blanket and cut it to fit inside the shelf to help boost some of the light. The light is a 24W, 2ft T5 fluorescent.

All that's left to do is install a small curtain so that it's not too bright shining into my room & get a small thermometer to set inside there to monitor temps.

Can't wait until Spring so I can increase my collection.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

3930814440_c58da63026.jpg

ok ok i just had this convo with someone else
nice little grow chamber, use it for tropicals
with that said
your in north carolina
flytraps are native there, you should know that
Grow them outside. full sun, thats whats best. they need the light, and changing light cycle to initiate dormancy....
trust me on this one.

ok ok i just had this convo with someone else
nice little grow chamber, use it for tropicals
with that said
your in north carolina
flytraps are native there, you should know that
Grow them outside. full sun, thats whats best. they need the light, and changing light cycle to initiate dormancy....
trust me on this one.

I've talked with Nick before. He can't grow outside because he has an apartment (was it?) and he didn't have anything but a west window with weak light (right?), no balcony either, so he's trying using lights. :/

ah alright
Well it is still gonna take more than a single T5 light...2 atleast, id go with 4....
or a few T8 fixtures with 2 lights would be fine

When I was home over the summer all of my plants were outside and they did great. But now I'm back at school, in the heights of the Appalachian mountain range (at Appalachian State), which is zone 5, and we have VERY harsh winters (below 0, high winds, lots of snow, a month or more of highs in the low 30's/upper 20's). Our building codes is similar to northern Pennsylvania. Plus I'm in an apartment complex with many other college students who can't be trusted with my plants outside all day while I'm at classes. But I completely agree, having them outside is much better.

When I was home over the summer all of my plants were outside and they did great. But now I'm back at school, in the heights of the Appalachian mountain range (at Appalachian State), which is zone 5, and we have VERY harsh winters (below 0, high winds, lots of snow, a month or more of highs in the low 30's/upper 20's). Our building codes is similar to northern Pennsylvania. Plus I'm in an apartment complex with many other college students who can't be trusted with my plants outside all day while I'm at classes. But I completely agree, having them outside is much better.

Ah, there we go. :p

Haha, you guys had that whole conversation in the time it took me to type that...

At Lowes theres a 2' 2 Light- Fixture for 9$ (On sale from 33$, but idk about your guy'ses lowes.). Lights are about 12$ for two.. 17W ea. T8's 4100k. idk if thats better but I bought two of them, and I'm going to do the same thing as you but with a 4 teir growrack, infront of a window.

Back