What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog advice

I went to a chain hardware store to get a pond liner. They were alot more $ than I had expected. They did have the preformed plastic ponds 1/2 off. I got a 50 gallon one. I got 4 50# washed playground sand and 2 large bales of peat to fill it up with. It has 2 levels each about 9 inches deep. I think the split level will be nice for different plant requirements and possibly act as a water reservoir in the summer heat. What i need to know is:

1. Where would the best place to put drain holes?

2. Would it be best to back fill it with the soil from the hole or another cheap material?

3. In zone 6b/7a, what additional over-wintering protection would I need? Would a pine mulch 1-2" deep suffice?

871980400629md.jpg

L 53" x W 37.5" x D 18"

Thanks

Drain holes are typically punched into the sides to keep the bog from overfilling or flooding. How many and at what depth probably depends on how much and often it rains in your location.

1. Where would the best place to put drain holes?

Personally, I would put some drain holes about 2 inches down from the "ground level" of the bog.

2. Would it be best to back fill it with the soil from the hole or another cheap material?

No! dont use any "regular" dirt..only peat.

3. In zone 6b/7a, what additional over-wintering protection would I need? Would a pine mulch 1-2" deep suffice?

probably..I would go 6" deep myself.

Scot

Back