What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Connecting a WaterMaker Mini outdoors?

• Thread starter mcantrell
  • Start date
So I have a WaterMaker Mini. It's not perfect, but for $10 off ebay I can't complain.

Unfortunately, the place I'm staying at now does not have that type of faucet. So I find myself in dire straights -- I am suddenly out of water and out of convenient sources of water.

My first idea was to find a way to hook the WaterMaker Mini up outside. Has anyone ever done that? The kitchen sink here has a hole for a second faucet - i.e., soap or a RO filter -- but I'd hate to go that route if I didn't have to, as I'm just renting a room here for a few months.

I don't have a clue as to what a Water Maker Mini is (is it R/O?) my ebay search for that name gave me a mist maker thing for a tabletop fountain.

But You should be able to find a sink adapter if you bring the current adapter with you to Home Depot and search for a while. My R/O unit came with an adapter that fits a 1" garden hose faucet so I had to find one that fits a 3/4" kitchen faucet.

http://www.watermakermini.com/

mini000.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Thought: With winter upon us, getting water thought he outside faucets isn't going to work...

I've never seen one of those! Very nice and compact. How many gallons per day can you potentially get out of it?

I wonder how long the TFC membrane lasts without having the charcoal and sediment filters in front of it? Supposedly the chlorine in tap water can destroy the R/O membrane and that was the excuse for the charcoal pre-filter on the two or more stage units.

I looked at the website and it instructs you to attach a quick-release valve to the sink adapter, pretty much just like my 3 stage R/O's hook up. Just take the adapter to your hardware store and find an adapter that will make the larger size smaller or vice versa.

Right. The thing comes with a replacement aerator for the faucet that is a quick release. I'm going to try and get an adapter in about 4 hours that will let me hook it up to an outside faucet or hose. So it's 3/4" to 1"?

---------- Post added at 07:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

Got it hooked up! Lowes had the part, a "SF 0204" from Basscraft. It is marked as "Faucet Aerator, 3/4" Female Hose Thread x 55/64" Female Thread - Chrome."

Cool! At least it's got a quick release so you can just pop it on/off and don't have to leave it outside.

How come you can't get an adapter to hook it up inside? What's wrong with the sink - won't the aerator cap come off? Or is it one of those fancy Moen faucets that doesn't even have a cap? Those are about the most useless faucets there is and they want crazy money for them. I remember shopping for a new faucet for my sink, the kind I needed with the aerator cap for the R/O hookup is the cheapest model out there! lol

It's a fancy Moen faucet, yup. :) Has a detachable head with a hose that you can push a button on and turn into a sprayer thing.

I know if I ever get a house of my own, I'm getting a hard water prefilter for the entire house and a under the sink RO filter.

Back