What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Misting system suggestions for vivarium

I'm wondering, if you were going to set up a fully planted vivarium, what misting system would you go with?

I have been looking at Mistking.com kits and they seem pretty nice however their cart doesn't work on the "Build it Yourself" page where you can choose which parts you want for your misting kit based on your needs. They're still in business aren't they?

I am thinking of a standard pump, a seconds timer with 4 of their deluxe positionable nozzles and 30 feet of hose for a 4 ft L x 2ft W x 3 ft H vivarium.

A friend of mine got that same kit recently, when they first tried it I believe they had something between a religious experience to an orgasm LOLOLOLOLOL

I watched a video they sent me of it with it running... pretty intense, the word that comes to mind is "monsoon"
Personally, I would have been concerned it might be too much.... but I trust this person's judgement

think monsoon LOLOL

Ive got a low pressure system with misters and drippers... but ummm its still in the box DOH!
Wating for my "round tuit" to arrive :p

Av

MistKing is definitely the way to go. Contact them directly if there is an issue with the web site, since they have always been great about responding to any questions.

They are easily the best on the market, hands down . . .

I've been working on designing an elaborate Edwardian Case for highland Nepenthes and Heliamphora and have been looking at those components for months. Unfortunately, they are sitting on my desk and not up and running yet; but my test of the system was great . . .

I've used ProMist by Pro-Products for my Chameleon for years! Very similar to the mistking minus the fancy nozzles. It's worked great for me.

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, those deluxe nozzles look cool and should be able to be positioned anywhere (the no-dripping is nice too). I wonder if 4 would be enough for a 4 ft viv? It will be full of mounted epiphytes so it'll have to mist "everywhere". Can the nozzles be adjusted at the tip to cover a wider or narrower area (like a plant mister bottle nozzle) or are they each built to cover like a 12" radius?

Ha ha Bella, at least you're not too much more motivated than me! I bought a case of black aquarium silicone to cover the spray foam walls/cliffs and had the melamine wood cut to build the stand of the viv about a year ago... I hope all that silicone hasn't somehow expired yet! lol

I'm hoping to actually get the project assembled over the winter and then begin filling it with plants once the weather is good for shipping again in my area. But this gives me time to get it put together and tested before I start the fun part. It's gonna be a whole lot of vivarium for one little brown female Anole that hatched out of a philodendron pot! :D

Hi Swords,

I don't have a Misting system, but I sure would like one. Thanks for bringing Mistking to my attention. :)

No prob, I'm glad they seem to have a good rep. I've always wanted to get a mister but they're pretty spendy and I had read conflicting reports about Rainmaker Jr. which was the popular kit years back. But I sure didn't wanna have the pump get an air bubble and then burn up. Especially at the price of the things - which hasn't gone down over the years. The Mist King kit supposedly won't fry if the water runs out or flow gets cut off "runs dry" or however they phrase it.

Another sweet deal is that you can use the one pump to run several vivarium/terrarium misting setups.

Does anyone have any updates on their Mist king systems , if you have one of these
ive got my order together and , have a concern a bout the zip drip they say set the pump on the floor beside the reservoir for the best quiet operation, then proceed to say the zip drip valve must be at the highest point in the system to prevent drips, thoughts?

Contact Marty at mist king for clarification he's always quick to answer me and I haven't ordered yet. I guess it looks like the new pumps are in too!

i have a mistking for my chameleon...he loves it....the best way to go imo.......also they are in canada so shipping is like 30 bucks extra....fyi.

Does anyone have any updates on their Mist king systems , if you have one of these
ive got my order together and , have a concern a bout the zip drip they say set the pump on the floor beside the reservoir for the best quiet operation, then proceed to say the zip drip valve must be at the highest point in the system to prevent drips, thoughts?

The last time I set up my MistKing system (I am currently renovating a growing space and it's not in currently in use), I placed the pump at ground level, next to the five gallon reservoir, on a rubberized mat -- to cut down on vibration and noise.

It worked like a dream, without so much as a single leak . . .

big bella im looking at my new system i dont under stand the tubing , just shove it in, any other security that it will stay in , is there a lock , any close up pics of your system at the connections ,at the tubing?

Jimmy,

Im not sure, but I imagine they are "John Guest" fittings... main thing is make good clean and square cuts,
I use a utility knife with a new blade

you push in on the collet while pulling out on the line for removal

http://www.johnguest.com/makeconnect.asp

Av

Back