What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accidentaly 'mineralized' my minibogs, need some help!!

I decided to experiment with my temperate CPs during dormancy this year. I dug a hole a little deeper than my 2 minibogs(they're around 1' tall, 1' wide 2' long) and placed them in. I figured that since the soil's temps are constant and usually warmer than freezing, and this might help stabilize temps and keep them slightly warmer in dormancy. Yesterday, it rained a little shy of 3 inches,and the hole was filled to the brim with water! :censor: They had a thin layer of clay from the soil on it, which I'm guessing is NOT good!!(There being those 'minerals in regular soil, ya know) I unpotted the plants, washed off all the soil, and I put them on hold in Ziploc bags.
NOW MY QUESTION IS: The minibogs have a drainage hole around 1 1/2" from the bottom. (t probably should be higher, but that's how these bogs were made) If I scraped out all the peat/sand with clay on it, and then flushed the bogs out with 5 gallons of water or so, would that leach out the extra minerals that the dirt/water put in? Or, should I redo the whole thing? I'd prefer the former method, but figgured I'd ask on here first.
I'd be extremely thankful for your help/insights! :-D

Aslan

I dont quite understand..
how did clay or "regular soil" get in there in the first place?
where did it come from?

later in your note you mention a peat/sand media..
if you are just using peat and sand, im not understading where the clay came from..

oh! I think I get..your mini-bogs are buried in the ground?
ok..that makes sense now! ;)

so you had run-off from the "regular" dirt into the bogs..

first..dont bury the minibog rims level with the ground..leave them an inch or two above the surface..so no surface water can run into the bogs..that will solve one problem..

use the ground for insulation only..but dont let the "ground water" mix with "bog water"..
I would try to put some coarse gravel on the outside of the bogs in the area of the bog drains..
so bog water can drain out, but ground water isnt likely to get in..

if the holes get fully swamped when it rains..your drainage isnt good enough..

about getting the excess dirt/clay out..
I doubt its a serious problem..
CP's die from "mineral overload" when they are grown for months/years with hard water, or in bad media..
your plants have not experienced that..

I would just flush them out good with some rain water..yes, I think would flush everything out fine..
you dont have a massive mineral buildup from just one rain storm..
IMO, its not a big deal..

Scot

Thanks Scottychaos! :) I'll flush the minibogs out, then, and get some better drainage. I was a little worried about mineral buildup, but I guess flushing w/ rain water will do it.
Thanks again!
Aslan

If your media doesn't drain quickly enough in the rain, you may want to add some more sand/perlite to the mix now while the plants are out of the pot.

I think flushing out the media WELL will do the trick to leach the soil. But I see one flaw in your design! If your drainage holes are below ground you will always have a mineral build up fear. As minerals and fertlizer can enter the drainage holes. So your current bog pots are unsuitable for putting in the ground. You can always surrond your bog with bricks and have an above ground bog. You can find really nice ones at any home improvement or garden store. Or get a different pot and put both the drain holes and top of the pot above the ground level. I have an above ground bog surronded with bricks. My bog is about 2' tall and the drain holes are 1.5-2" of the TOP of the pot.

To make one thing clear, I was sinking them in the ground only for dormancy...they were above ground bogs, but I was experimenting during this dormancy by putting them in the ground. I didn't take rain into account(duh!) and it flooded them. Thanks for the tips, Frilleon and Ant. I'll keep drainage in mind, next time;)

Aslan

Back