What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uhhh...?

I don't think running with pliers is safe. Especially in places where people are cutting glass.
~Joe

oil helps. but I have used all sorts of oil/lubricants. The most important thing is one fluid stroke. Hard with long sections. I usta clamp it down to table with a straight edge. Clean, apply oil, then do the score and pray.

Use of a lubricant, however, is optional. I don't use a lubricant when I cut glass. Try it both ways and see which you prefer.

-Hermes.

:D I think my silliness is starting to affect Joe!

I'm curious if there's really any magical aspect to the pliers they sell or if it just has a mark in the middle? I can draw a center line on the jaw of a pliers to line up with a score if that's all it is.

I think next time I try I will give it a go without oil and see how I do.

Apologies to Adam for the glass talk but hopefully he can use some of the info anyway!

First off, there are glass cutters who pay people to grow plants for them even though they can build a terrarium or greenhouse. There are also greenhousmen who employ glass cutters, and they're not really that expensive.

Pliers aren't even that necessary. Unless you are working with glass 4' plus.
If you do use pliers simple wire pliers or grippers is all you need. make sure to wrap tape around the nibs, or put rubber caps on them. This protects the glass from the metal.

I usually use my hands, gloves aren't always needed.
Also, a little oil goes a long way.

Yes. Sorry for going off topic. :D

Justjack: I see what you're getting at, I am only trying to help out. I am not trying to sound condescending.

Anyway, good luck with cutting; practice makes perfect! ;)

-Jack

Thanks for all the info Red! I definately want to figure out how to do this.

Back