What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uhhh...?

Ok as many of you know I'm coming home from tour in July-ish area (YAY!! :boogie::boogie::banana2::banana2:) and will be able to start my collection again. But in order to protect my plants from my future roommate and others wild and crazy MPs I've decided to get a terrarium (which I'm sure will grow to more than one). So doing some research I found this place: http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=3 I was wondering what your thoughts are on this. Suggestions, ideas whatever! I haven't made up my mind just getting ideas on where to get my future Terrarium. Thanks everyone!
BB (nickname)
P.S. I also found they have T-5 bulbs. Could those specific bulbs be used for CPs?

Not bad price-wise. But even if you aren't going to fill it to the top with water, it might not be bad to get an aquarium that's designed to handle it. You're going to keep your plants pretty moist, so it will probably need to hold roughly 20%-33% of its volume in water. If you've got the time to look into it, craigslist will be cheaper. Have you seen swords' recent DIY threads?
~Joe

PS - I was going to say welcome home but that's still slightly premature. :D And T5s are only good if you get the high output (HO) ones; four-foot HO tubes burn 54 watts. There's also VHO (v for very) and those are like 80 or 90 something. Not sure about the wattage for shorter tubes, but ordinary four-foot T5s burn like 9 watts. I don't think it's that they're dim, but that they have a more sparse spectrum that is only good for seeing and not for photosynthesis. (I'm pretty sure they're the same as those ugly bluish lights you see at retail stores.)

Joe
yes i have (very impressive btw swords if you're reading this!) and that's also partially what got me looking into a tall aquarium so small viney neps could grab the artificial branches as a support.

When you get back hit me up for some plants. Active duty = a special price on plants. Plant + shipping + taxes should run you around $0 .

Have you thought of making your own terrarium out of plywood, glass, epoxy paint, and silicon? You could even build it as a front-opening vivarium. And T-5's will work fine for CPs; however, their effective range is less than HID. There are wide variety of T-5 bulbs available. The output spectrum of each kind of bulb will vary dramatically.

-Hermes.

No i havent thought about that Hermes... How would one do that?

And droseraguy I just may do that...but I'll feel guilty for not paying for anything...

Let's take it out in trade. Right or Wrong (everyone hold your tounges), you do a good job over there so I don't have to and I'll swap you some plants ! Doubtful that I have enough but I'll see what I can scrounge.

No i havent thought about that Hermes... How would one do that?

It's not that hard really. You build the walls of your terrarium out of plywood and screws, then waterproof it by using silicone on the seams and painting the interior with with the epoxy paint. You can install a glass pane in the front wall fastened with rust-resistant metal fixtures and silicone or you can put the front window on sliding rails (vivarium style). You can make a terrarium like this almost any size for minimal cost.

-Hermes.

So you'll be home for good in July Adam? That's great! Hopefully they won't keep dragging you back. I hear about those guys who finally get home and a few months later or whatever and they have to go again as their unit get's recalled numerous times.

Hermes have you done the wood/epoxy indoors before? I'd like to cos it sure sounds easier than finding waterproof materials to build with but I'm a bit fearful of the epoxy fumes. I can leave but I have two cats and a lizard who will still be in the house as it cures. I can crack the window and put a fan in it but is that enough? It's enough for doing urethane foam, urethane casting resin and silicone of various types but I've never screwed with any industrial epoxies, only Aves sculpting epoxy but it's non-toxic and smells like Fritos corn chips! I made some clear polyester castings once (Casting Craft brand) and it was some of the worst stuff I've ever encountered as far as vapors go. And if you don't mix the catalyst just right you can end up with a burning resin fireball! I had one casting smoking in its mold! lol

hermes is right, theres really no need to buy a terrarium like that you can definitely build one for pretty cheap. I have a mid size terrarium probably comparable to a 50gal that I built myself, it has held up and is continueing to look good today for over a year so far... its all made of wood, with a glass sliding front.

overally Very cost efficient.

save yoruself some money if you can help it :)

( I just checked the prices on that website, the cost for my build was less than $30 which is a 1/3rd of the price of the 50gallon on there )

i would but ill be in the barracks and i know the 1sgt wouldn't like me having power tools in the barracks... I mean I'd love to build one but I'd like to get promoted, you know?

Happy safe returns. With T5 bulbs you will want to watch out for heat in a terrarium since they get pretty hot.

xvart.

Happy safe returns. With T5 bulbs you will want to watch out for heat in a terrarium since they get pretty hot.

Heat management is often a concern with high performance lighting. One thing that can help is to separate the ballasts from the bulbs.

-Hermes.

Heat management is often a concern with high performance lighting. One thing that can help is to separate the ballasts from the bulbs.

-Hermes.

Good point Hermes. My knowledge of electrical modifications is very limited, so that is a good point to add.

xvart.

I'm a glass artist, and I just want to put it out there...
There are very few things that smell worse than grouting for a leaded window panel (or other various glass design using lead framing. That's right epoxy is like sweet tea compared to leaded grout!

Ingredients: turpentine, linseed oil (it is like a volatile acid made from plants!, (lead candium is sometimes used), plaster of Paris, whiting (will burn your skin as does linseed oil), black tar,aggregate, crushed limestone, sometimes other similar substances are used. Mix it all up in a bucket and have fun applying to your leaded glass. use in a well ventilated area, where a mask, and possibly use a fume trapper.

speaking of DIY: you can go buy a fletcher glass cutter (this is the most simplistic and cheapest on the market.) They can be found at Home Depot, Walmart, Lowes, Ben Franklins, Pini's, Ace, or any specific crafting/hobby or hardware store. They cost about 6 dollars. find some cheep glass sheets, or old windows (go for 1/8 inch thick)
take your measurements and make nice clean scores along the glass. take the glass over a hard but soft edge (like table with towel wrapped on it) and in a quick forceful downward thrust, break glass along the point of weakness (where your score was made) Then once you have your 3 dimensions you can start to assemble your tank/box/aquarium. Using an epoxy you can then assemble the sides to the bottom one at a time. Now that you have a glass cutter, you can make all the cuts you need on double poly carb, plexi glass, glass, and most other similar glass/plastic like glass types. No need for table saws or paying someone at hardware store to do it for you!

- Just my thoughts and suggestions

I gotta say check out Craigslist first before going to the trouble of building on or buying a new one. I have found some awesome large (30, 40, 60 gal) plexiglass tanks for very cheap: 30 & 40 gall for $20/each, a bit scratched up but no big deal & tons of room. Even check the "free stuff" section & you might find something.
cheers & welcome back.

Red that's all so easy for you to say. I have a glass cutting kit with the key shaped cutter that has a tiny wheel and weighted ball on one end, a jar of oil and a bunch of ruined glass! :(

The old guy at the hardware store has no problem cutting it for me but he gives me the scrap from my pieces to practice with and I just make more scrap. I can't seem to get good cuts even though I follow the written directions, it just breaks poorly when I try it. I know about not rescoring the original cut but it never seems to follow the full line.

I know it can be difficult at times. The the thickest I usually like to cut is up to 1/8 inches. Is this your problem? Otherwise, I just use a band saw or dichroic glass cutter.
Yes the tool you described sounds like a common fletcher model.

Here are really short videos on straight and curved cutting. (He is using a red fletcher)

Straight cuts
Curved cuts

Hope they help.

Red that's all so easy for you to say. I have a glass cutting kit with the key shaped cutter that has a tiny wheel and weighted ball on one end, a jar of oil and a bunch of ruined glass! :(

You really need someone to show you how to use a fletcher glass cutter. Once you get the "trick" of it, it is really easy to use. But, you can ruin a lot of glass without ever learning how to use it. Find someone to show you how to use it.

-Hermes.

Thanks for the videos Red I will play with some more scrap and see if I can follow along and do it. Seems like I either don't score hard enough or score too hard and chip the glass. This guy didn't even mention cutting oil, is that stuff necessary?

They don't seem to carry the running pliers around here anymore though the shops have a space on the shelf for it.

Back