What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is that green stuff hanging from the roof?.....it looks like a neon green sponge. :lol:

Your greenhouse is beautiful and very well organized; everything in its place! I noticed that even you neps are in trays; how often do you water them? Do you let them dry out in between waterings?

wowzers ! I believe I just went quackers for that green house. I have never seen moss grow on the outside of a terracotta pots before. That is insane. And like Exo, I have to know what that crazy green stuff that seems to be taking over is.

Very nice collection!

wowzers ! I believe I just went quackers for that green house. I have never seen moss grow on the outside of a terracotta pots before. That is insane. And like Exo, I have to know what that crazy green stuff that seems to be taking over is.

The neon-y green stuff is a type of ornamental moss that I purchased at Orchard supply. I don't believe is alive anymore, nor do I suspect that it's naturally this color. It appears to be some kind of lichen. I just like the look of it so I put it in various places in my GH. :)

San Jose, CA is a little too dry to allow me to succesfully grow LSF in pots but club moss loves growing on the medium AND sides of the terracotta pots. Most of my pots have it. Eventually most of them will. I like the look of it. Makes it look more organic than a plastic pot.

Your greenhouse is beautiful and very well organized; everything in its place! I noticed that even you neps are in trays; how often do you water them? Do you let them dry out in between waterings?

I generally will let the trays go dry before I add more water - though in summer, I pro-actively keep pots filled to prevent things from getting too dry - which in my climate - can happen in a matter of hours.

The frequency of waterings depends entirely on the weather. Right now, once a week is enough. In summer, maybe once every day or two. They also get misted twice a day.

Wow! Great setup! Is that a female N. veitchii flower I see? ;)

Fingers crossed!

Some more new pitchers:

N. copelandii Mt. Pasian:
cp-apr2011-copelandii001.jpg

N x thorelli x aristo (female):
cp-apr2011-thorxaristofem002.jpg

N. jamban:
cp-apr2011-jamban001.jpg

N. fusca:
cp-apr2011-fusca003.jpg

N x thorelli x trusmadiensis
cp-apr2011-thorxtm001.jpg

ohh...that fusca looks so..graceful. :)

All very nice!

Very nice subtle colors on the thor x tm. I was expecting a bigger peristome, but it's still a really nice plant. Maybe the peristome will get bigger with size/age? And I like how that jamban is hanging out with some dews :p

Very beautiful pitchers brokken:)!

Exo: Sorry, a typo on my part. It's actually Capslock's Mt. Pasian copelandii. Yours is doing nicely too!

Thez: The pitcher is different than what came with it - with essentially looked like like thorelli but had the consistency of TM (very woody). I'm excited to see that the plant is changing as it's maturing.

Nice pitchers Brokken.

The dogs got me up at 7:30 on a Saturday... so I decided to take some early GH pics:

N x 'Unknown': I'm not sure what went into the making of this one. Still, it's pretty. It tends to vine rather quickly and it's a female:
cp-may2011-unknown001.jpg

N x thorelii x 'Trusmadiensis': I have high hopes the the uppers in this guy will look really nice. Here's a pitcher next to its friend 'Lady Pauline':
cp-may2011-thorxtm001.jpg

N. fusca: Another pitcher from this gorgeous plant from Leilani:
cp-may2011-fusca001.jpg

N x maxima x 'Trusmadiensis': At first it didn't look like it was gonna do much, but the pitchers keep getting larger and better and the leaves are a deep green:
cp-may2011-maxxtm001.jpg

N x truncata x spectabilis: I have a cross which is the reverse of this and they look practically identical at this time. Here's a young pitcher showing a lot of promise - candy striping, vaulted lid, long neck:
cp-may2011-spectxtrunc001.jpg

That's all for now folks!

Last edited:
:drool: very very nice Brokken, awesome pictures, the N. fusca is just spectacular!

Hmm... spectabilis x truncata really is the best! :-D Mine's still puny though so I've got nothing to show yet..

Is that a fusca from Sarawak? :0o:

Some nighttime shots - they didn't come out too well, but here they are anyways:

H. heterodoxa x minor: My heli has been surviving for a while, pitchering and even flowering but it wasn't until this year when it started putting out size and color:
cp-may2011-heli001.jpg

N x truncata x (ventricosa x aristolochioides): It's a very vigorous plant and it's sending out a flower stalk too! I suspect it's a male:
cp-may2011-truncxxventxaristo001.jpg

N x izumiae x 'Trusmadiensis': Here's a new pitcher coming up. It will color up until it's nearly jet black and will open with a spectacular, round peristome:
cp-may2011-izumixtm001.jpg

N x truncata x epphipiata: Slow grower for me, but hopefully will begin to put on size and larger pitchers. Nice, long neck, vaulted lid
cp-may2011-truncxepi001.jpg

Back