What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ah, I see! I had a feeling it would be because of your climate. I was just wondering, as I'm pretty forgetful when it comes to watering neps, plus I hate watching all the water just drip out of the pots unused, so I'm always on the lookout for something to make the job easier/more efficient! I saw someone using 80% perlite a while back, so that's next on my list of experiments! Your method probably wouldn't work in my conditions though- waaayy too cool and humid.

I was also interested about the pots- I like how the moss grows on the outside, and I was thinking of growing some Darlingtonia in France, but it gets hot in summer, and I was wondering how well the terracotta works in comparison to a white glaze. Maybe if you can pull 100F off with Helis, I might be able to pull it off with a rare 40C every now and then. I have a few a few shoots to spare, so I can afford to experiment. (In northern England keeping such plants outside in the Summer is no effort, so I never considered/discussed it before) :lol:
Thanks for the info! :bigthumpup: Eventually I'll have my own method nailed! Keep the photos coming! :)

Wow.. Can't wait for my (veitchii x low) x spectabilus to put on some size. Gorgeous!

N. aristolochioides (currently with six pitchers):

cp-jun2011-aristo001.jpg

N. lowii x campanulata (two different clones in one pot):

cp-jun2011-lowxcamp001.jpg

N. fursca (working on two new pitchers):

cp-jun2011-fusca001.jpg

N. izumiae x TM (getting better every day. Currently working on two new pitchers):

cp-jun2011-izumixtm001.jpg

N x 'Lady Pauline':

cp-jun2011-ladypauline001.jpg

N. maxima x veitchii (I like the pitchers on this plant when they initially open):

cp-jun2011-maxxveitchii001.jpg

N truncata x (ventricosa x aristolochioides) (male, currently flowering):

cp-jun2011-truncxxventxaristo001.jpg

N. thorelii x aristolochioides (one of my all time favorites):

cp-jun2011-thorxaristo001.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

I was also interested about the pots- I like how the moss grows on the outside, and I was thinking of growing some Darlingtonia in France, but it gets hot in summer, and I was wondering how well the terracotta works in comparison to a white glaze. Maybe if you can pull 100F off with Helis, I might be able to pull it off with a rare 40C every now and then. I have a few a few shoots to spare, so I can afford to experiment. (In northern England keeping such plants outside in the Summer is no effort, so I never considered/discussed it before) :lol:
Thanks for the info! :bigthumpup: Eventually I'll have my own method nailed! Keep the photos coming! :)

It works remarkably well for cooling. I would recommend that you get a pot that is capable of holding a considerable amount of media if your temperatures reach 40 even for a single day. Generally I can grow darlingtonia for the most part okay, then a single day of temperatures in that range is enough to kill all of mine. I think the best medicine in this case is preventive: Buy large pots that are capable of maintaining their thermal mass through a hot spell and be mindful of the weather and when it could turn deadly to your plants.

Beautiful pitchers! I love the N. izumiae x TM; I just ordered one and can only hope it looks half as good as yours.

Thanks for sharing!

Anything new from the vent x (thorelli x aristo)? I forget the fancy name for it.. Mimosa! That's it..

Wowwww... :love:
You, your greenhouse, and its contents, are uhhhhhmaaaaaziiiiiiiing!!! :laaa:

Anything new from the vent x (thorelli x aristo)? I forget the fancy name for it.. Mimosa! That's it..

Hi Mass,

Nothing yet. It's still getting settled. It's still got some pitchers from when it was in your care but nothing new after it settled in its new home. Soon though. :)

Wowwww... :love:
You, your greenhouse, and its contents, are uhhhhhmaaaaaziiiiiiiing!!! :laaa:

Thanks Liz! :) It's always nice to hear words of encouragement. :)

Beautiful pitchers! I love the N. izumiae x TM; I just ordered one and can only hope it looks half as good as yours.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Keith. :)

Given your growing skills it'll look at least that good and possibly twice as nice. :) Believe it or not, the peristome on this one is kinda thin. It's supposed to be a little wider. Also as the pitcher ages, it'll continue to get darker to near-black. :)

Woah......everything is so incredible..and the colors on that aristo are just unbelievable :0o:

These pitchers are too small to take normal pics of. I had to use macro lenses:

N. spectabilis x aristo (basals):

cp-jun2011-spectxaristo001.jpg

N. lowii x truncata:

cp-jun2011-lowxtrunc001.jpg

N. ventricosa x eppiphiata:

cp-jun2011-ventxeppi001.jpg

N. hamata:

cp-jun2011-hamta002.jpg

N'awwz what a cute little hamata! :love:

Such lovely cuties you grow!

:hail: Constant reminders of why I look up to you so much.

Always enjoy to see your N. thorelii x aristolochioides

Some pics from around the greenhouse. First, something we've seen before:

N. izumiae x 'trusmadiensis': I have two of these plants, they're that gorgeous and vigorous:

cp-jun2011-izumixtm002.jpg

N. izumiae x 'trusmadiensis': This is a developing pitcher on the same plant:

cp-jun2011-izumixtm003.jpg

N. izumiae x 'trusmadiensis': A developing pitcher on the second plant. This will be the first pitcher on this particular plant while in my care:

cp-jun2011-izumixtm004.jpg

N. platychila: This one's a bit of a milestone for me - though not much of an upper, it is still the very first upper that this plant has put out for me after two years in my care.

cp-jun2011-platy001.jpg

N. ventricosa x 'trusmadiensis' aka 'Sabre' clone "C" - this clone takes strongly after N. lowii. This is not only its first pitcher that it's put out in my care, but it grew from a basal that the plant developed shortly after I got it.

cp-jun2011-sabrec001.jpg

D. californica: First pitcher in my care. Not as tall as the pitchers that it came with, but frankly, I'm just happy that it hasn't died.

cp-jun2011-darlingtonia001.jpg

D. uniflora: Not a carnivore, but a ground orchid. A red clone of the normally pink Disa uniflora. I can't get over how gorgeous these plants are - if there's a downside is that they die after flowering.

cp-jun2011-disared001.jpg

Last edited:
:clap: that Izumiae x xTM's are truly gems :)

Funny, I was going to ask you about the N. platychila on the chat! Very nice.

OMG it's all so beautiful :love:

I am insanely jealous of your platy-upper-ness :awesome:

I absolutely love your Sabre!

omg i really really love tghe whole moss on your pots thing u have going on .......did they do it on their own or is there something i can do to promote growth??

Beauuutiful plants! The peristome on your fusca is amazing!

Simply stellar :love:

Back