What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Niiice... hopefully when I grow up and get proper growing conditions I can grow my neps out like that :drool:

The next four pictures are brand new additions to my GH as of last night and their pitchers did not grow under my care:

N x burbidgeae x edwardsiana:
cp-nov2010-burbxeddy001.jpg

N x izumiae x trusmadiensis:
cp-nov2010-izumixtm001.jpg

N. (veitchii x lowii) x spectabilis:
cp-nov2010-veitxlowxxspec001.jpg

N. veitchii var. 'Bario':
cp-nov2010-veitchii001.jpg

And here are some general shots of what the greenhouse looks like now. I have no more space - except the lower shelves - and they generally house things like my pings, sundews and disas - anyways, the upper shelves:

cp-nov2010-greenhouse001.jpg

cp-nov2010-greenhouse002.jpg

cp-nov2010-greenhouse003.jpg

cp-nov2010-greenhouse004.jpg

cp-nov2010-greenhouse005.jpg

Finally, here are some general pictures of my pings:

cp-nov2010-pings001.jpg

cp-nov2010-pings002.jpg

What nep is on the left side? The giant one. It looks great!

That's thorelii x aristolochioides male. Compare to the female one over to the right of that. That plant is also in flower right now, but it's cut off in that picture.

:love:
I don't even know what to say....everything is just so...so...fantasmic!

Love your ping set up!

Pure. Envy.

I, too, really like the Pings. Is that P. moctezumae in the top row, second from right in that first picture? If so, I wish mine looked like that! What mix do you keep it in? How do you water it?

Someday, I'll have a greenhouse. Someday. ;p

Thanks. I guess I need to look for that one now :p

Pure. Envy.

I, too, really like the Pings. Is that P. moctezumae in the top row, second from right in that first picture? If so, I wish mine looked like that! What mix do you keep it in? How do you water it?

Someday, I'll have a greenhouse. Someday. ;p

I used to be totally inept at keeping pings. Now, I'm just bad. One of the things I did is changed the formulation of the medium. I switched to an almost nepenthes-like mixture but without bark or peat. The medium consists of: milled sphagnum, perlite and a little bit of lava rock. My success at keeping pings has gone up significantly but I still tend to have some deaths during the winter.

I used to be totally inept at keeping pings. Now, I'm just bad. One of the things I did is changed the formulation of the medium. I switched to an almost nepenthes-like mixture but without bark or peat. The medium consists of: milled sphagnum, perlite and a little bit of lava rock. My success at keeping pings has gone up significantly but I still tend to have some deaths during the winter.

I definitely need to get my moctezumae out of my minibog. It's 1:1 peat:perlite and always has an inch of water a few inches down from the substrate level. It did well for a while, but it's clearly in decline. I think I'll actually pull it out tonight and put it in a pot in my grow rack. I'm thinking something like 1:1:1 peat : perlite : vermiculite. Maybe a bit of lava rock as well. Any thoughts?

I need to start thinking about what I'm going to do for the flooring, misting, and shelving in my outdoor GH. I forget, are you sporting cobblestone as your ground cover?

No. I actually have indoor/outdoor carpet (the green stuff). It looks cheap and it's probably one step above having bare particle board or dirt soil. If I had to do it again, I would have small pebbles in there.

You mean fake grass? That's what I have for my indoor GH to keep the carpets clean.

Hi Brokken,

Love your set up. If I may ask, is your greenhouse a Rion? If so what model did you get? I am looking at getting one just like it but was wondering with the width only being 8', is it o.k.? The one I was looking at is 8' x 16' - the Rion HG-16 to be exact. Would really appreciate it if you can tell me your thoughts on it and if there is any downsides to it. It looks very solid and seems would hold the humidity perfect inside.

Hi Brokken,

Love your set up. If I may ask, is your greenhouse a Rion? If so what model did you get? I am looking at getting one just like it but was wondering with the width only being 8', is it o.k.? The one I was looking at is 8' x 16' - the Rion HG-16 to be exact. Would really appreciate it if you can tell me your thoughts on it and if there is any downsides to it. It looks very solid and seems would hold the humidity perfect inside.

Hey Joel,

Mine was relatively easy to assemble and should work in temperate-warm conditions. For something in colder weather, you probably want something a little more substantial. I got the complete 8 x 8 model which gives me plenty of room to house two rows of tables on either side of it and give you plenty of walking room. A table in the middle could be done, but that would be pushing it. It's really meant to leave a wide isle in the middle.

Two of my more established helis:

H. heterodoxa x minor:
cp-nov2010-hetxminor001.jpg

H. nutans x minor:
cp-nov2010-nutxminor001.jpg

Some of my smaller neps:

N. aristolochioides:
cp-nov2010-aristosmall001.jpg

N. hamata 1:
cp-nov2010-hamatasmall001.jpg

N. hamata 2:
cp-nov2010-hamatasmall002.jpg

N. jacquelinae:
cp-nov2010-jacqsmall001.jpg

N. macrophylla:
cp-nov2010-marcrosmall001.jpg

N splendiana x [{veitchii x maxima} x veitchii]:
cp-nov2010-splendianaxsmall001.jpg

Some flowers:

N. veitchii 'Barrio':
cp-nov2010-flowerveitchii001.jpg

N. spectabilis:
cp-nov2010-flowerspectabilis001.jpg

And some new pitchers:

N x 'Sabre'
cp-nov2010-sabre002.jpg

N truncata x (ventricosa x aristo):
cp-nov2010-truncxxventxaristo001.jpg

N (veitchii x lowii) x spectabilis:
cp-nov2010-veitchiixlowiixxspect001.jpg

Looking great as always!!

Those are all looking great. Man I hope I'll be able to get some pollen soon to send you for that Female Veitchii Bario of yours.

woah! Nice heli flowers!! are you going ot try and pollinate them with a different heli if you have any others that are flowering?

Back