What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hydrogen peroxide for water heated tank?

I have had some nasty stuff growing in the water of my water heated LL Nep tank and was thinking hydrogen peroxide would be good to keep anything from growing. Maybe treat every 2 weeks with a few tbs?
Is this a good or bad idea. There are no plants that touch the water and good ventilation.
It's used in mushroom cultivation to keep nasties at bay so I thought it would be better then trying to empty a 55g tank every 1-2m.
thanks,
Zero

I've read the same to keep algae away in standing water. I've tried and found that though it does keep the green algae away, it doesnt keep translucent slime away. I did not add it every 2 weeks though, just a one time application.

If you go to a hydroponics store you might find 29% hydrogen peroxide. Directions on the back are 3ml of h2o2 in 4 liters water every 3-5days. I think that's just to oxygenate the water not kill plant life in the water. I would be very careful with concentrations high enough to kill algae.

Thanks for the replies.
cp-connection, How would it be dangerous?

i wouldnt think it to be dangerous at all, because i use that kind of stuff against BBA and other algae types--dont know how effective it will be against fungi though. the reason why it's affective against algae and bacteria is because their cell wall composition differs than that of eukaryotes making them extremely susceptible to damage via oxygenation. the cell walls of the plants will protect them--that is unless they're doing in poor health.

there's probably some type of water chemistry reaction, but i dont think the reaction is strong enough to change your pH, after all it just breaks down to form water and O2.

---but then, i dont use hydroponic stuff, i just use the solution they sell in drug stores.

This is just for a lowland nep tank.
there is nothing planted in the water.
I'm going to give it a try and will report the results in a month or so.
Peace,
Zero

This is just for a lowland nep tank.
there is nothing planted in the water.
I'm going to give it a try and will report the results in a month or so.
Peace,
Zero

Cool, I look forward to seeing the results. My assumption is that at a certain (yet to be determined) concentration hydrogen peroxide will oxidize roots. If the roots are in pots with media I would think they would be fairly well insulated though.

I think I will try this on my heli tank. I had been replacing the water every few weeks as it is only a few inches deep. The heli (just have the one) is about 4-5 inches above the water so no danger of it getting into contact with the H2O2.

OK, so I put about 4tbs in 10-15 gallons of water. So far none of the nasty stuff that was growing before has reappeared. I only have 3% hydrogen peroxide right now, but I will look for higher concentrations next time I'm at the store.
I decided to repeat every week as the hydrogen peroxide is very cheap.
Peace,
Zero

29% hydrogen peroxide? Wow! That could be explosive! I think what CP-C meant is be careful handling the stuff. Hydrogen peroxide effervesces strongly when contaminated. Make sure not to get the stuff on you or your clothes, where it could cause a nasty chemical burn. Not having used the stuff to kill algae myself, I don't know for sure, but for safety's sake maybe you should stick to the 3% solution - unless you have a LOT of water to treat.

Back