What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st grow box problem; HELP!

So the first problem with the box is controlling the humidity. I have the timer on the humidifier set to go every 2 hours for 15min. It raises the humidity to 80% during that time span, but then it tinkers off to 30% before it's time for it to kick back on. If I set the timer too often, I'll be going through gallons of water every day.
How can I better control the humidity in there? And will the humidity jumping up and down like that send the plants into shock?

I was wondering how that was going to work for you.... I used that same humidifier in my first (small) greenhouse... Can you make it turn on more often for less time? You just need to play with the on/off time to get it to work. My main greenhouse is humidified by a cycle timer, it has different on/off times for day and night and requires frequent modifications to keep up with the weather (depending on how much the cooler has to run)
Andrew

I was wondering how that was going to work for you.... I used that same humidifier in my first (small) greenhouse... Can you make it turn on more often for less time? You just need to play with the on/off time to get it to work. My main greenhouse is humidified by a cycle timer, it has different on/off times for day and night and requires frequent modifications to keep up with the weather (depending on how much the cooler has to run)
Andrew

Well, the timer I have it on now works in 15min. increments. So it is either on for 15min.+ or off for however long. I do have a different type of timer, but I'm not sure what length of time each little notch represents. So I didn't want to use it. But, maybe I can leave the humidifier on for 30min., every other hour.
Also, I have started keeping a record of the temp, humidity on each side of the box (left and right), and the time checked. Thus far, I'm losing 40% of my humidity after 1hour of off time. And by the end of the 2nd hour just before the humidifier kicks back on, it bottoms off at 35%-40% humidity in the box.
But my original question still stands.. Will the rise and fall of the humidity like this shock my plants?

luckily, you have some pretty hardy plants. ventrata can take tons of damage (although i dont encourage purposefully doing so).

if you can't control the overall humidity of the entire area, try to localize it, i would do this temporarily by placing clear plastic cups over the pots and cover the plants. (spray some dH2O into the cup before placing it on top). this isn't a permanent fix, but it will do for the duration of time when you need to get your humidity schedule down.

I think I may have it pretty stable now. I've got the humidifier kicking on for 15min. every hour. And I moved it to the center of the box with a custom cap on it so it distributes the fog evenly throughout the box. The night time temp is about 70deg. with 70% humidity. If my calculations are correct, then the daytime temp is going to be 80-82deg. with 75%-80% humidity. I'll know for sure tomorrow.
And the humidifier is pretty handy.. when the fog settles it keeps the substrate nice and moist.

If you wish to truly "control" the humidity the enclosure should be close to sealed. If the shelf is wood that will suck up all your humidity very quickly.

A humidistat is the best option, unfortunately they run about $80 from these folks:

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/controls2.shtml#humidistat

Look for the "prewired humidistat", hang the sensor in your terrarium, plug your humidifier into it and plug the humidistat into the wall. Done.

I guess all I had to do was let it run for a little while. The humidity has finally leveled out between 70%-80%. So I'm back to having it come on every other hour.

I got me a hygrotherm and repti fogger for my terrarium. Works like a charm. The Hygrotherm is a humidstat/thermostat in one, it turns on foggers/humidifiers and heat mats/fans/cooling devinces when needed. Here's a link

http://www.petsandponds.com/en/reptile-supplies/c219173/p17106069.html

I personally like it a lot, no worries about the humidity dropping when I;m not home. Plus it has a photocell built into it which allows you to program a nighttime temperature drop.

Next thing I'm getting is a peltier machine.

Back