What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What can i grow outside?

Hello, my first outdoor season growing carnivourous plants is approaching so since i cant afford a green house i went and bought a covered growrack. it is a 4 tier and it is the zipping open and closed kind.
(it is very similiar to this)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_318839-1015...L=/pl_Greenhouses_4294935924_4294937087_?No=0

SO what im asking is what on my grow list can i bring outside and put in this rack. i defiantly will be growing the sarracenia, dionaea, and darlingtonia outside. But what drosera would be suitable for this. I live in zone 5. The hottest we get is around 95 and humidity is always high.

(MYGROWLIST) http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120949&highlight=kgrudz

also im looking to expand my drosera collection and im wondering what species would be suitable to be grown outdoors.

hope any one can help
kgrudz

Every sundew on your growlist except D. adelae - BUT if you keep it really humid and in a shaded location, you can probably grow that one outside too!

But bring them in around Autumn.

should i be worried if it gets to hot for the dews ?

Personally, I wouldn't ake any Mexican pings outside. Baaaaaaaad things happen when I have taken mine outside - deluge, browning heart, scattering,.....

thanks for the help guys.

Personally, I just grow my D. adelae outside in the shade of my house. Does well every year as long as it is kept wet/moist.

i have this gazebo thing on my deck that would probably be good for it. it will still get some light while getting good shade.

Hello, my first outdoor season growing carnivourous plants is approaching so since i cant afford a green house i went and bought a covered growrack. it is a 4 tier and it is the zipping open and closed kind.
(it is very similiar to this)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_318839-1015...L=/pl_Greenhouses_4294935924_4294937087_?No=0

I'm not sure I would recommend growing anything in a covered grow rack outside unless it is in shaded conditions or well ventilated. Indoors, sure. But outdoors with any significant amount of sunlight and you have yourself an easy bake oven with the sun as the lightbulb.

I live in Zone 5 (Indiana). During the summer I have grown these tropical species outside without any special setup.

Nepenthes ventricosa, miranda, ventrata. - Front porch with 3-4 hours of direct morning sun.
D. binata - Full sun.
D. indicia - Full sun due to misidentification, but it did OK and flowered.

it has a opening that zips up and its probably 2 feet wide and is as tall as the rack. so it will get airflow and i plan on having a cooling fan as well. its purpose is really to protect it from animals. our neighborhood has a really bad squirle and raccoon problem and they are always digging up my mothers pots.

Ah. I see. I have read other complaints from fellow forum members about squirrels. The ones around here don't seem to bother mine. But there are two large walnut trees about 30 feet from my house so I suspect they gravitate to them.

My main problem is children, Catydids, and japanese beetles.

how so children. that sounds interesting.

You know, the usual.

I have 3 that terrorize my indoor plants. They like to help. You know mist my cephalotus, touch my sundews, squeeze my nep pitchers.

My 3 kiddies have friends who like to play out in the yard during summer. They like to set off flytraps, bend every sarracenia lid back to look at the bugs inside. Occasionally land baseballs, footballs, soccer balls, etc on my plants.

But they are kids and that is what they do I guess.

im glad im only 16 then dont have to deal with that. but i do have a pmsing sister that threatens to destroy my "gay" plants if i dont drive her anywhere

Back