What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquarium Conversion Project

This is a project converting an aquarium to sliding glass front vivarium. I had been wanting to attempt a conversion for a few months then thankfully Swords did it first and paved the way. See his initial post here: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120603

The Guinea Pig: ~55 gallon rectangular aquarium (48" L x 12" W x 21" H)

I'll not undertake a full write up and will lessen the number of images since Swords post was quite thorough. :hail:

I picked up this tank on craigslist for $20 and I spent about $35 on glass, $25 for the plastic rails -though I purchased enough for around four conversions, and ~$10 on silicone.

pre_constructionA.jpg

The top and bottom rails are surprisingly strong but removal is not overly difficult, esp if you use a heat gun and a box cutter to get them started. A heavy knife, screwdriver or something similar aided in further removal. Just follow the heat w/ your chosen tool of persuasion.

rails_removedA.jpg

I cut off much of the silicone w/ a razor blade on the inside and outside of the two vertical front panel seams. I messed around w/ a few different "tools" to cut the seal between the front and side panel, including guitar strings, fishing line, pocket knife, box cutter...in the end the knife in the image below worked great. I was able to get the thin, long blade between the panes and easily slice down the entire side w/ not much effort.

cuttingA.jpg

Once the seals on both sides were parted, I was able to pull the front panel down, and w/ a quick cut along the bottom seal it easily separated.

front_panel_offA.jpg

Using razor blades, I cleaned off as much of the residual silicone from the bottom and side panels. It does take some effort to remove it all but you want a clean surface to adhere the track and glass to. As I have no prior experience undertaking such a project, I had to guess on a few things. The first one was what size to make the upper and lower support panels. In the end I ordered 2 @ 3” x 48” x 3/16". I was concerned that only three inches would be holding this glass on at each end but I went heavy on the silicone so we’ll see. I also used the 3/16” glass to add some rigidity. I glued the bottom panel then the top, using packing tape to keep it in place a bit better.

lower_and_upper_supportA.jpg

As detailed in Swords post, I purchased the same plastic track and right angles as he did. I cut the L and E pieces to fit the opening of the top and bottom rails using a hacksaw then cleaned off the few burs w/ a blade. I then glued each L & E together. Paper towels or rags are good to keep close to clean up the inevitable mess.

Note: I used clear silicone to join the plastic strips together. In hindsight black silicone will be less visible at these seams.

The tracks were glued to the top and bottom glass panels then I began to ponder how I'd install the rear glass panel into the track. :scratch: The track has two channels, one for each glass plane to slide along. The front channel extends past the plane of the two side panels so that one can just slide in from either end. The rear channel is recessed and this cannot be done. I reread Swords post and pm’ed him for input. If you cut the glass to w/in a certain tolerance you can get it into the rear track.

I decide that due to the long length of this tank and how much play there was w/ the top panel, I’d rather ensure a better fit of the front panes. I ordered the 1/8” glass to a size that would allow for both sliding sections to use up most of the space in the channel both at the top and bottom. This would ensure they’d not come out. Also, I had the glass shop slightly round the top and bottom edges of each pane to allow smoother travel on the plastic track, and I coated these surfaces w/ some beeswax as suggested by Swords.

Installing the rear pane involved some deconstruction. I ended up un-gluing one side of the top rail. This allowed me to insert the rear pain into the channel. The surfaces were cleaned then I re-glued the top rail back into place. Another example of poor planning….

Lastly I cut and glued on some addition right angles along each side for a cleaner look, and it prevents the front pain from sliding out.

finish1A.jpg

finish2A.jpg

Overall it's not a very difficult project. This tank is going to be high enough up on my rack where watering from the top would be a pain. The sliding front panels will allow for much easier access.

wow.. looks GREAT!!

Your finished product looks awesome man! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

Great to see others getting into DIY projects.

If you do another sometime you don't have to worry about the missing 1/8" at the top of the panes which allows them to come in and out easily when needed for big renovations or just taking pics without the glass. They won't fall out on normal use opening and closing.

I love posts like this. Awesome bench work.

You deserve a beer.

Looks good! I'm getting ready for a DIY too. I'll have to post a thread.

I'm now waiting to see what Swords next project will be, then I'll copy it...it's easier that way!

I dunno if you saw it in the spider thread but here's my latest thing, a 10 gallon vertical:
10vert.jpg

It could be used for frogs, tarantulas, plants, etc. anything needing vertical height.

It's pretty easy to do but if anyone is interested I can make a photo step by step when I do another one just like it.

i have a twenty gal. long im thinking of making into a two nep chamber for a villosa top and a hamata bottom , no other plants , just use it for these two plants dividing some how in the middle and using it vertically,one plant top one bottom, havent any real ideas/plans yet but its on my mind , i'll need to come up with cooling , drainage ,ventillation etc. etc.
I would like to know where you found that clear hinge:0o:, you always have the best resources , or your just on the constant look out LOL

How's it drain? Is the bottom water-tight? I wish I had time to build stuff that looked nice... :D
~Joe

It is watertight when you silicone the frame up to where the hinge is don't trust the manufacturer to have sealed the top frame. Definitely do it yourself, they just glue it on since they likely don't intend for you to do this with their tanks. I'd like to attempt drilling a drainage hole on that cracked tank before I try it on a good one like this. Otherwise I'll use a false bottom to elevate the soil a bit. This 10 gallon tank (10 x 12 x 20) project gives you essentially a mid sized Exo-Terra vivarium (12 x 12 x 18) for about $25 (I'll have to do the exact math, the sheet of plexi I got is 20 x 32 enough to make 3 lids/fronts) compare this price to a real exo-terra for $75 or so. And with an exo-terra you still have a screen top to deal with.

Here's the cheapest place for clear plastic hinges, latches, handles, etc.
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/default.aspx?catid=597&parentcatid=795

BTW Joe, get all your pots & potting media ready I'm shipping those Succulents on Tuesday! You're gonna be a busy beaver! LOL
Save your $ on APS and get over to NAPA Auto Parts and for $7 you'll have more Floor Dry #8822 than you know what to do with - don't use it on your CPs though. It's a killer for them but a miracle for succulents, it's what mine are currently growing in.

I dunno if you saw it in the spider thread but here's my latest thing, a 10 gallon vertical:
10vert.jpg

It could be used for frogs, tarantulas, plants, etc. anything needing vertical height.

It's pretty easy to do but if anyone is interested I can make a photo step by step when I do another one just like it.
I like that! how many ts were u planning on getting again? i know u got a load of containers from the other post

Not sure how many Ts I will get. For now I'm just gonna get a couple permanent tanks setup for the two I have, one horizontal desert tank and this vertical forest one. I will be setting up 3 more verticals since 4x 10 gallon verts will fit under a 4 ft fixture but I haven't made a firm decision what may be going in them, other than plants of course! :D

I found a great Mantid Forum so I will be getting some of my most coveted mantid species shortly to go into those 1.5 gallon candy jar terrariums. If all goes well perhaps I can share some exotic flower mantid nymphs with you guys next year.

Sorry we've hijacked your post swampy! :offtopic:

I was looking at your post and have to say the tank looks great. I have a couple smaller tanks that I have been thinking about doing that to for growing my orchids as well as some CPs. I do have a couple of questions.

1) Is the top of your tank still open or did you seal it up?

2) When you put the track on the front was there a lot of overhang?

3) Is the track showing any signs of stress with the glass in it without support?

I was looking at your post and have to say the tank looks great. I have a couple smaller tanks that I have been thinking about doing that to for growing my orchids as well as some CPs. I do have a couple of questions.

1) Is the top of your tank still open or did you seal it up?

2) When you put the track on the front was there a lot of overhang?

3) Is the track showing any signs of stress with the glass in it without support?

Sorry, missed your reply, James.

1. Yes, currently the top is open. I have a 4' 4 bulb t5 the covers most of the opening though.

2. You cut the track to length. Then again, are you talking overhang to the left and right of the tank or out forward?

3. No issues at all. Between having the glass slightly rounded and coating it in a bit of wax, it slides cleanly. The top support pane that I initially thought might be an issue -due to the length and limited adhesion area- is also looking good.

Back