What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

grow box: HELP!!!

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
  • Tags
    grow
Well, I'm a big enough man to say.. I need help. I can't figure out what the deal is here. But it has to be addressed immediately.

As you can see.. the wood is wrapped completely in thick plastic. AND topped with a layer of somewhat water-proof wood paneling.

100_2850.jpg

But in any case.. water is still getting through somehow. BADLY!! The carpet around the box is soaked. BADLY!!

100_2849.jpg

And mold is setting in.. BADLY!!

100_2848.jpg

Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

g-l-a-s-s

make sure that it is sealed--use some aquarium silicone--but take the plants out while it cures.

Yeah, either use aquariums or get some of those Sterilite tubs that are big but shallow, made for sliding under the bed. Put an egg crate false bottom in them so the plants can drain over the bottom and the excess water goes in the tub. The tub can be plumbed with a ball valve and hose for drainage or just siphoned out when you need to.

Mold in the rug is bad, probably should get rid of the moldy carpet section or even all together. When I remodeled I put down tiles, clean up is like nothing compared to cleaning soil and whatnot out of carpet.

crap.. this is gonna be tough. I don't have any tanks big enough to handle my collection. And I have tubs.. but they aren't big enough to handle my collection.

Using the tubs the whole plant doesn't have to fit in, leaves can dangle out, just so the pots will be draining over something 100% waterproof.

The floor under the carpet will go bad too if something isn't done right away. Pull up the carpet and dry the floor with a fan asap.
You def don't want mold in the subfloor. Utricating hairs will be the least of your worries if black mold sets in.

agreed.. at least I know we're on the same page. I've got the floors under control bud. I pretty much built this house. It's the grow box I need help with.

I'm not sure what the dimensions are of your shelf, but I recommend kitty litter boxes for tubs. They're cheap, strong, and usually fit nicely together if you have more than one.

I'm not sure what the dimensions are of your shelf, but I recommend kitty litter boxes for tubs. They're cheap and strong.

I'm broke and I need to fix this problem now.. and it's 2'W x 3'L x 4.5'H

Looks like you could comfortably fit a couple of these on one shelf. (Check the dimensions on the bottom of the link.)

Looks like you could comfortably fit a couple of these on one shelf. (Check the dimensions on the bottom of the link.)

but the shelf itself is the problem.. with those, the water would still get soaked in. I probably forgot to mention, I use an ultra sonic fogging humidifier to water and keep up the humidity.

but the shelf itself is the problem.. with those, the water would still get soaked in. I probably forgot to mention, I use an ultra sonic fogging humidifier to water and keep up the humidity.

Oh, I didn't realize that.
What about some kind of wood stain to prevent water from seeping in?

don't have any.. * I've got to use stuff from around the house. That's why I was thinking that maybe a trash bag around the shelf would work.

Well so much for the first time! Sorry to hear about your problem! That particle board is going to start warping and continue to mold. I would get rid of it (if you can). Since your space is not sealed (and wasn't ment to be) your fix is going to be difficult. Do you have a large piece of plastic? You could wrap the whole inside of your chamber in it. I think your going to have to dial in your humidifier, and have it run less (it's just way to wet). Seal in your mirror sides with silicone. You should replace the other wood sides ande replace with glass or plexiglass. Plexiglass is much easier to deal with if you have the tools to cut it (plus you would be able to see your plants). I would replace the bottom also if I were you. I'm sure you can keep "trying" to seal it and it will continue to give you problems.

that's exactly what I want to do.. but I just don't have the money for it right now. So I'm stuck using household items.

Well then large pieces of plastic are going to be your friend until you get some cash money. It's not going to solve the fact that there is a lot of water created in your space. Try covering in plastic as best you can and then turn down your mister. You don't need to use it for watering. You can hand water and have the mister run less.

But I use 1:1 LFS, perlite and the water runs straight through. Hand watering would probably be worse IMO. And my mister only has 2 settings.. on and off.

I may have the problem solved.. at least the wood shelf won't get wet anymore.

Two trash bags tied and taped over the wood shelf, then wrapped in plastic. Thick insulation over the shelf, raised on one end. Tilted plastic drainage "system" :)rolleyes:) on the low end running to a plastic water basin. Which I can empty when needed. I tested the plastic above with a full glass of water.. and.. SUCCESS!! Not a single drop was lost on the way down to the basin. Let's see how long this lasts.. :scratch:

remember though that plastic materials get all brittle and worn down when exposed to lots of light, and humidity. it's a temporary solution, i'd suggest finding a better solution in the mean time.

remember though that plastic materials get all brittle and worn down when exposed to lots of light, and humidity. it's a temporary solution, i'd suggest finding a better solution in the mean time.

yes sir.. I'm planning on going plexi-glass by this time next month.

It looks like you arent using plastic trays under all your pots..if not, why not?
are you allowing the water to simply drain out into the towel?

I would just get a plastic tray for every pot..very cheap and solves the problem..

Scot

Back