What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new custom terrarium build

uphwiz

jimmy
Im just starting and it will take me about a month to build and set up this new terr.
ive already ordered and got the glass 1/4 thick to my measurements .
Im doing this because the first one is a little short , and im going to dedicate it to all helis, and this one will be for my highland neps , so i need a little more height .
Here is me drilling holes for venting, draining, and maybe later a misting nozzle or two.
try to keep the water up , dont let dry out like i did, the glass could shatter, and dont start and stop unless your using a drill press, and are sure its still lined up perfectly after you have stopped.<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOpPsqugPfI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wOpPsqugPfI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Great job Jimmy, looking good. I see the two pieces of glass are not exactly lined up with each other, I take that it was on purpose? Cant wait to see the finished product

Sweet! I kept waiting for the unhappy "snap" that I'm familiar with! Gotta go spelunking in the garage for my drill press and try doing it properly.

What kind of glass bit is that? Mine is just like a plain old 3/8" drill bit but for glass.

Did you have to order the bit special from somewhere? Can you get them up to 2" diameter?

Do you have the gear the press down to a slower speed to do glass?

didnt change the speed of my press, and the bit is from lowes as usual.
the name of the bit is LENOX, and HITACHI also makes them , but in smaller sizes than lenox, their diamond grit glass bits.
the largest lowes had was this one at 1 3/8 " though you can probably find them at two inches. the hitachi seems to hold the diamond grit better, ive done 8 holes and it seems fine , but the lenox seems to have worn quite a bit for three holes it may be that the larger the bit the faster the wear , in the larger hole there is quite a bit more surface being cut, ( i'm still learning )

---------- Post added at 06:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 AM ----------

checkout yuotube there are people on there doing it free hand , but i cant do this, the glass breaks every time.
there is a guy actually doing it free hand on a small aquarium with no support under the glass ?? How to EASILY drill through glass , this is the title i cant get it to load here??

i just got the top, sides and the back siliconed in place this weekend, it is going very slow , but my other highland terrarium is at its max and some of the neps are starting to get a little more size , so i have to move it on.
ill do a pic or two shortly if any one is interested

I'm always interested in DIY projects - so bring it on! :D

I'll soon be posting a thread on building mini sliding front vivariums or "Mantis Mansions" (TM) as Larry dubbed them.

Cool videos. I've watched all your uploads so far but what kinda projects are these where you don't swear and break stuff? :D

I cursed a lot this weekend cutting out a couple dozen 1/2" wide and 1" wide strips of glass! But at least I can actually do it now.

Its looking pretty good!!!

btw how much did this all cost if you dont mind disclosing because i would love to do this and itd help alot to know how much ill be looking at spending and how much glass ill be needing.

im adding some holes to the e track on the bottom as the other terr has issues with water buildup
IMG_1927.JPG
IMG_1926.JPG
it runs out and down the front of the tank , will have to make an adjustment to this one ,
but the next is like this.
IMG_1925.JPG
there are 7 or eight of these holes through the back two vertical edges to let the water out.

Jeff i had to start using a new glass supplier,more expensive than my old guy, he's getting a little shaky and cant do the work he used to.They are a way more accurate ,
I had trouble with the last tank in that the pieces were not square and not the same sizes , the ends didnt match and the top had quite a gap i had to fill with silicone , but it did work , back to your question ill have 200.00 maybe 230.00 in the supplies , that includes glass silicone e track , false bottom pieces, and some ducting (PVC) for venting , on that, I'm going to try something a little different with the venting , my old terr. has the air forced through the front door,it works well but ,i want to vent from the sides , more on that when i figure out what im going to do there.:0o: LOL

Neat idea with the drainage holes in the E track, is that water build up caused by the automatic misting system or simple condensation? Is there any ventilation (passive or active) on the tank which has the water in the track?

I haven't yet setup my 37 gallon that I did the sliding front modification on back in Jan. but maybe I'll do those holes before I do setup just incase I need them later.

This is the lowland terrarium, and has the computer fans blowing thru the door i leave it slightly cracked, the temps can reach 95 to 100 if I dont , and the misting sys isnt on this tank, there are no low humidity issues in this tank , also no humidifiers, im still using a fogger in a dish of water on this tank, and haven't changed the ceramic disk in 3 - 4 months, still working well enough to keep the humidity 80 + percent.

Yeah, the T5s are really heating up now with warmer weather. I've got my AC in the window and two fans blowing air around the room, one 12" stand fan directly on the terrarium shelves only gets things down to 84*F when the lights are on. The T5s are off for 6 hours now and the room is still 77*F according to two different thermometers (and 73*F outside according to the TV :(). I wonder how much warmer the room will get if I acquire two more T5 fixtures for sticking on the new shelf I just bought... I can smell cooking mantis already! LOL

I've finaly got the terr in place, but still need to attach the air and misting system , the vent tube goes all the way thru and out the other side , ive still not decided how im going to attach it, but i am hoping the few holes you see drilled will disperse the air all around the plants, insted of just coming in at one entrance point, the doors are on order, and im planning on using two 2 bulb t-12 fixtures for a while , and save up ( the free shipping is over boo hoo), for the same model 2 bulb t-5 fixture like i have on the other highland terr.

Cool, I've thought about a similar air dispersal tube through a terrarium but never tried it so it will be interesting to see how it works out for you. The local orchid shop has these giant clear poly vent tubes about 2 feet in diameter up near the ceiling that run the length of the greenhouses and supplies the heating in the winter.

what air and misting system do you use?

-javier

for the misting system i would go with miskking. I use it for my panther chameleon. One pump can run 28 nozzles or something like that. Its around 250 dollars with shipping, but well worth it if you have multiply things to get wet.

my highland terrarium is full full full, and i need to get this new one together this week im working on the venting today , after that i can move some of the neps in and work on the lighting with them in there, after i put them in there it will push me to finish this ongoing project, LOL
think the neps need a little more room ? click for a bigger pic and then you can magnify an area by clicking that area:0o:

Last edited:
OK here is the finished vent in place and in operation,took lots of cutting, and fitting,
but i think it will do well at keeping the air in both terrariums moving nicely.
IMG_2087.jpg
IMG_2088.jpg
IMG_2089.jpg
IMG_2091.jpg
IMG_2090.jpg
And here is a short video of the air in the lower terrarium , the upper has been doing well with this set up for over 6 months now, so im sure it will do well with this new arrangement.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jEKZuS3Khs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9jEKZuS3Khs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Back