What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found new sphagnum bog!!

S. purpurea should be easy to spot because of the flowers this time of year. Sundews usually betray themselves with patches of red.

However it is usual for inexperienced carnivorous plant hunters to trample unknowingly on the very plants they are looking for and not spot anything until they get home and find a crushed plant stuck to the bottom of their shoes.

Do not under any circumstances introduce any species indigenous or not. You would be changing the natural accession of the biome as well as disturbing the gene pool. The last issue of Carnivorous Plant Newsletter tells of how some one introduced a Sarracenia leucophylla into the middle of a private preserve of one of the few remaining stands of pure S. alata. The plant went unnoticed for several years and now the population is no longer pure.

I see... Oh wow... Good to know this now Or else I be doing something stupid.. Thanks for the Info ;)

S. purpurea should be easy to spot because of the flowers this time of year. Sundews usually betray themselves with patches of red.

However it is usual for inexperienced carnivorous plant hunters to trample unknowingly on the very plants they are looking for and not spot anything until they get home and find a crushed plant stuck to the bottom of their shoes.

Do not under any circumstances introduce any species indigenous or not. You would be changing the natural accession of the biome as well as disturbing the gene pool. The last issue of Carnivorous Plant Newsletter tells of how some one introduced a Sarracenia leucophylla into the middle of a private preserve of one of the few remaining stands of pure S. alata. The plant went unnoticed for several years and now the population is no longer pure.

yep i read that issue and was pretty saddened by that.....

i agree with everyone who has said it so far, DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, introduce any plants to that or any habitat....

I know the exact one your talking about and have actually witnessed it first hand. Not only is it an obvious problem, but its very hard to find the culprit plants on 20 acres. I know that guy has been trying to remove as many as possible(both the leuco x alata and alata x leuco, since they are different in appearance) every year for the last 3 or 4 years. Best way was to wait for flowers, but alot more are not flowering than are.

~billy

lol Indigo i could really see you doing that, hey lets see what happens now :p 2 minuets pass by and a giant mutant VFT comes popping out ready to hunt you down haha

Pretty standard looking sphagnum bog. It's probably too early for the temperate dews to be totally out and visible yet. Give it a month if you go back and can't find them then they probably aren't there.

Go there with a friend and snow shoes, though!

Go there with a friend and snow shoes, though!

I've been trying to get some of the other CP guys to go with me.. but with no such luck. Where in Michigan are you?

Back