What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found new sphagnum bog!!

Happened across this spot while I was out looking for morels today.

It may not look like it, but there was actually water UNDER the grass. I jumped up and down and the ground literally moved like waves. It was WILD!!

100_3299.jpg

100_3303.jpg

100_3304.jpg

100_3298.jpg

100_3297.jpg

100_3306.jpg

100_3305.jpg

100_3288.jpg

100_3291.jpg

100_3292.jpg

100_3293.jpg

100_3295.jpg

100_3296.jpg

100_3290.jpg

100_3289.jpg

Terrible pic, but I found some RED sphagnum..

100_3302.jpg

Nice! Did you collect any XP

Nice! Did you collect any XP

I wasn't going to, but I couldn't resist the red stuff. I brought home a few good handfuls of it to grow.

Mass you need to drag me out with you sometime. I'm a huge fan of steak and morels. I could use the excercise these days...

1) If the bog "quakes" when you walk on it it may be a floating mat of Sphagnum. You might fall through and get trapped underneath the mat and drown.
2) Who owns the land? Do you have permission (State, Federal or privately owned)? Sphagnum nitidum, a red species, is endangered. If the land is privately owned and you are removing plants without permission it's not just poaching; it's theft.

Cool! I've been looking for sphagnum bogs near me, but I can't really find a clearing like that. How was the morel hunt?

Edit: two posts make me feel ackward.

Cool! I've been looking for sphagnum bogs near me, but I can't really find a clearing like that. How was the morel hunt?

Too dry.. we need rain bad!!

1) If the bog "quakes" when you walk on it it may be a floating mat of Sphagnum. You might fall through and get trapped underneath the mat and drown.
2) Who owns the land? Do you have permission (State, Federal or privately owned)? Sphagnum nitidum, a red species, is endangered. If the land is privately owned and you are removing plants without permission it's not just poaching; it's theft.

Is "quake" the technical term for moves? If so, then yes.. it quakes. Kind of like walking on water.
My High School principal from many moons ago owns the land. And yes, I have permission to be there. Trust me, I'm not dumb enough to get shot by some redneck out turkey hunting just because I want some mushrooms. This is Michigan.. everybody in the sticks owns a gun.

Mass you need to drag me out with you sometime. I'm a huge fan of steak and morels. I could use the excercise these days...

sure thing.. just drive on over. :-O

Sprinkle some Sarr/VFT/Sundew seed there and be the first one who start a new CP bog in that land hahaha !!! we are the witness ;)

That's great. Beautiful area. So did you see a single cp there at all?

I've come across a total of one sphagnum bog here in Utah. And it was at 11,200 feet, where the growing season is all of about 2 or 2 months. I had no idea there was such a cold hardy, alpine variety. And it was so thick and lush. I didn't dare tread on it, assuming it was ultra sensitive.

Sprinkle some Sarr/VFT/Sundew seed there and be the first one who start a new CP bog in that land hahaha !!! we are the witness ;)

Ya know, I was really suprised that there weren't any CP's out there. Would throwing some seeds out there really work? Remember, they'd have to be able to survive the Michigan winters..

Ya know, I was really suprised that there weren't any CP's out there. Would throwing some seeds out there really work? Remember, they'd have to be able to survive the Michigan winters..

NOOOOOOO BIG BIG NOOO NOOO

Introducing species, even if they are native to your state or zone, can have SEVERE repercussions!
That bog is a miny ecosystem of it's own, and adding or taking anything away can severely affect it in ways beyond we can imagine, regardless of how much 'planning' or thought is put into it! PLEASE do not add any seeds or other wild life that does not grow there already. Human interference is the last thing nature needs!

That being said, good luck on your morel hunt and enjoy that marvelous bog :)

NOOOOOOO BIG BIG NOOO NOOO

Introducing species, even if they are native to your state or zone, can have SEVERE repercussions!
That bog is a miny ecosystem of it's own, and adding or taking anything away can severely affect it in ways beyond we can imagine, regardless of how much 'planning' or thought is put into it! PLEASE do not add any seeds or other wild life that does not grow there already. Human interference is the last thing nature needs!

That being said, good luck on your morel hunt and enjoy that marvelous bog :)

okie dokie artichokie.. I'd rather keep whatever seeds I can get for myself anyways. :blush:

okie dokie artichokie.. I'd rather keep whatever seeds I can get for myself anyways. :blush:

You da man! :hail:

If you're looking for seeds for your PERSONAL use, I frequently have some and would have no problems sending them your way gratis. Just pleeeeaaaase don't sow them in the wild! :grin:

You da man! :hail:

If you're looking for seeds for your PERSONAL use, I frequently have some and would have no problems sending them your way gratis. Just pleeeeaaaase don't sow them in the wild!:grin:

That'd be great!! And don't worry.. never have and never will.

Yep, that sounds like a false lake bottom. Careful or you'll be up to your neck in it... or stuck under it!

Yes, definitely a quaking bog. The rolling you feel is the sphagnum mat floating on top of a lake of water. Do not go out there alone. Quaking bogs can be very dangerous places. You can easily fall through the mat.

I have never heard of quaking bogs. Neat! Are they very common?

They are somewhat common around the Great Lakes Region..
we have several here in Western NY..
ours have sundews and S. purpurea:

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page3.html

around here, the spagnum bogs often exist in "kettles"..which are glacial "craters" left behind from the last ice age..imagine the edge of a glacier, hundreds of feet high..the glacier is slowly retreating..
big chunks of ice fall off and sit on the ground..as the glacier retreats, tons of dirt and gravel is washed out from underneath, the "iceberg" gets surrounded with dirt and gravel, half-burying it..
eventually it melts..leaving behind a large "crater" in the earth..thats a kettle.
we have tons of cool glacial features like that around..also eskers:

and western NY has (what I believe is) the 2nd largest drumlin field in the world..second only to a larger one in Siberia: http://www.geo.cornell.edu/geology/...po_images/drumlins_detail.html#previous-photo

and I agree..never introduce non-native species!

Scot

So is it possible that the bog I found does actually have some CP's, and they just haven't flowered yet? Because I looked as far as I could and saw squadoosh..

So is it possible that the bog I found does actually have some CP's, and they just haven't flowered yet? Because I looked as far as I could and saw squadoosh..

possible yes..
sundews might be hard to spot this time of year, since new growth is just starting, and last years growth will be shriveled and black from the winter..

but if there are any S. purpurea in the bog, they should be highly visable any time of year..last years pitchers will still be right out there..the rosettes dont die down in the winter at all...some pitchers survivie through the winter, others will be brown and dead but still basically whole..

So if you didnt see any purps on your visit, odds are good they simply arent there..

Scot

Back