What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium from scratch

Just thought I'd post some pictures of my creation. I used a couple of old bathroom mirrors to make this (the huge, whole-wall ones), one from a remodel on one of my bathrooms, and another that I bought for $10 on craigslist. I cut the mirror to size (screwed up a few cuts, good thing I had some extra). I then siliconed the pieces together, and added doors using the same source for parts as Swampdonkey in his terrarium conversion thread. I just used the pieces for 1/4 glass instead of 1/8. Right now, it has a piece of plexi on top temporarily until I figure out whether I want to add another light.

This is very cheap to make: $20 or so for glass (there's lots of people selling giant old bathroom mirrors on craigslist, at least in my area), $5 for silicone, $5 for the pieces for the doors (although minimum order is $25, so I have enough for several more), $10 for 2 foot shoplight at Walmart. I plan on making another for highland stuff when I get time.

SHAMELESS PLUG - I'm going to be cutting my ventricosa 'red' soon, and want to trade for some more lowlanders to put in here - PM me! (I know vent is pretty common, so I'm willing to even out any trades with shipping or whatever).

On to the pictures:

I took a few at night, because it looks cool.
JS235622.JPG

JS235624.JPG

JS235623.JPG

Picture through the top with one of my makeshift glass top pieces removed. I know, the plants look a little sad, but they're all lowlanders that were in suboptimal conditions before I finished this.
JS235625.JPG

Picture of the front with the lights on:
JS235628.JPG

Another pic with the lights on - I put some of my scrap pieces of mirror on the top to keep max light in:
JS235634.JPG

Picture of the front with one door open (looks like millions of plants because of the mirrors, but it's only 3):
JS235629.JPG

The other door open:
JS235630.JPG

At least my amp is happy now:
JS235633.JPG

that's pretty cool, the mirrors do trick my eyes a little haha

Awesome!

Reminds me of a guy I knew back in college, had one of these in his apartment... :-))
but for him I understood the use of mirrors/room darkening qualities! :p

I am wondering why you opted for mirrors instead of something transparent? :confused:
Maybe it is just me, but I like to actually see and enjoy my plants while they are growing!

Also, I think from reading a little bit, I found that reflective mylar works better at reflecting light than regular mirrors.... perhaps I am wrong, I don't remember for sure.

I would have spent the money on some more lights and called it a day.

Just curious what made you choose mirrors...:scratch: although you can buy less plants this way for sure, and it will still feel like you have a room full! :water::water::water::water::water:

Well, good luck!
It sure does look like your Amp is liking it! Nothing like a Happy-Ampy'

Last edited:
haha.. you're bald. That thing looks sweet at night.

I used mirrors because it's what I had. It's hard to find aquariums that are wide enough to accommodate neps. I'd rather use fewer lights, as it's less costly in the long run when they run for 12 hours a day every day. Also, this went into one of my spare bedrooms, so I didn't want guests to have a fully lit room whenever the light was on. I like to look at my plants too, but I don't sit for hours staring at them. I considered putting regular glass in the doors instead of mirrors, but considering the amount of time I actually spend looking at them, I figured I'd rather have the reflectivity.

I haven't seen any data on the reflectivity of mylar and mirrors, but I'd be curious what the numbers are.

Edit: the dimensions are 29" wide x 18" deep x 24" high

Recycle - Reduce - Reuse...

Nice job!

Hey,
I wasn't trying to offend... (Nice handy work actually....) :grin:
I just didn't get it, as it reminded me of some of the more "covert" setups I have seen in years past! With the people I have over, they would all be "suspecting" me of something "unsavory" right off the bat, and it would get old after a while. (It's bad enough, them not understanding what I see in a plant the size of a quarter, let alone having to prove to everyone I am not into "that"!) :lac:

I certainly understand about recycling... I even cut up old milk jugs to make plant tags!...after I am done re-using them to carry water!, so I certainly do understand using what's on-hand!
It does look like the plants like it, and that's ultimately what counts.:water:

And while I don't get that much into it as far as #'s are concerned....if you are that curious about the reflectivity of mylar vs mirrors...Google it! The information is out there! (Besides, mylar doesn't add "structure" to it like your heavy glass mirrors do, so you do have the advantage of that.) If you look around here, a lot of people are using mirrors to build their chambers out of. :rolleyes:

Again, my only reaction was to it reminding me of something "else"! It will certainly make company curious as to what's inside! :-D

Most mirrors and mylar are "second surface" reflectors. This means that the reflective surface is on the back side. Their reflectivity efficiency has a lot to do with their thickness. Mylar is also partially transparent which is another loss that must be considered when doing comparisons.
(hold it up to a light and you will notice that you can see through it somewhat)

There are first surface mirrors but these are expensive and delicate. Not anything you will find in the home.

This is why the reflectors on good quality lighting is highly polished aluminum. Typically this is up to 95% efficient.

materials have qualities of reflectivity, transmissivity, emissivity and absorbtivity

http://www.firstsurfacemirrors.com/

:)
Av

I certainly understand about recycling... I even cut up old milk jugs to make plant tags!...after I am done re-using them to carry water!, so I certainly do understand using what's on-hand!
It does look like the plants like it, and that's ultimately what counts.:water:

Gosh, and I thought I was the only one! :-O

With the people I have over, they would all be "suspecting" me of something "unsavory" right off the bat, and it would get old after a while. (It's bad enough, them not understanding what I see in a plant the size of a quarter, let alone having to prove to everyone I am not into "that"!)

In the neighborhood I live in, I bet half of them suspect I "grow" by now, with the lizard lights, the hermit crab's lights, and the occasional jaunt to the GH after dark with the lantern!

Nice! I like the sliding front! The mirrors should do quite well.

Your tank is pretty much the same size as my 56 gallon "cube": 30" L x 18" W x 24" H
(which I will be converting to a sliding front sometime soon)

I had a coworker ask me if you could get high on pitcher plants, "why else would a young guy like you be into growing plants?" :confused:

Av Reminds me,
I made a fancy kaleidoscope for my wife years and years ago
using a few front surface periscope mirrors. (Surplus supplies!)
Thing is cool but weighs a ton!

And yea, the info I read on the mylar was in reference to double surface (front surface both sides) high quality horticultural reflective mylar. I didn't want to get into all that, as I figured it was wasted "over the top" info under the circumstances... ;) (Seems so much is now-a-days!)
[BUT it is nice to hear someone speak my language.... like a breath of fresh air!) :beer:

BTW, I made my own light fixture/reflector a while back, using a really cheap piece of aluminum duct work that had a decent finish to it, but wasn't anywhere near the polished surface I would have liked. (But it was excellent for the cost!) Would have helped had I still had access to a brake (sheet metal bender) and I didn't want to bother buying a cheap one as that would defeat the purpose of making it as cheap as possible while still working well.... Any cheap source ideas for high polished Al? (I didn't think so!)

Lil'S: If they don't suspect, I bet they just think you are crazy! :-D
And yea, been making a lot of things from milk jugs for a long time! They are a good resource for the innovative!

Oh yea, WAY off topic, has anyone noticed anyone bidding kinda high on some unusual/mundane (auction) plants lately? Either someone got their allowance, or found out perhaps that being young possibly means not being bound by legal contracts/agreements!
Something looks a bit "unusual/suspect" to me!... (Just an observation and wondered if anyone else noticed.)
Well, Take care all!

PS Swords.... how many pitcher plants did you sell that guy!?

Last edited:
how many pitcher plants did you see that guy!?
At my height I had like maybe 60-70 species & hybrids of Neps in assorted sizes both HL/LL species + lots of orchids (and Nep cuttings waiting to be sent out) so not too many really, probably a lot for a condo though. But he grew when he was younger so he just assumed I "must". Once people get a belief going in their head it's pretty hard to change it.... I dunno, maybe you do get really ripped if you put a 1" N. macrophylla in a bong - at the price of Neps, I've never actually tried! LOL

As far as the auction goes I didn't watch everything, just the stuff I want (nobody bought my roach kit :( lol) but Schloaty and PAK won't let them off the hook when it's over, so if they overbid and don't pay they will be "sorry". LOL

Oh I missed the roach kit!
(Did you save all the old roaches?)
And yea, at the cost of a Macrophylla, I wouldn't burn it no matter what it did!

(You know, its hard to take you seriously anymore when you have that avatar pic of that kid scratching his brain from the inside!) :-))

Hey, I remember a time when a roach was all you had!
And that was a good thing!

(Wow, did I actually survive those days?)
And here you saved yours and made a kit out of them!
Resourceful!

Oh yea, checked out the adultswim video... cute! (if that is the right word!)
Oh, and it seems someone else (Kg...z) caught what I was referring to about that off topic situation.... auction buyer!
( http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122204 )
Thought it was just me seeing things again! :suspect:

Take care all!

Lil'S: If they don't suspect, I bet they just think you are crazy! :-D
And yea, been making a lot of things from milk jugs for a long time! They are a good resource for the innovative!

Tell me about it! I have a couple dozen I've been saving that'll become the "rescuee" in an up-coming sailboat obstacle race, with a "Gilligan's Island" theme. You start with a man overboard drill, and the jugs will be "Gilligan". :-))

Back