What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Grow Chamber/Box...In Progress

Jayson,

As Yann mentioned Ive experienced issues with young helis that were constantly in the direct flow from the humidifier. Wistuba also mentions in his recommendations that helis do not like excessive misting.

Now I use to mist mine a couple times a day with good results... just don't over do it IMHO, give them a chance to dry out some, especially before bed :)

Like most variables there is a point of diminishing returns

Nice temps btw, fwiw we have practically identical setups, but yours is a little nicer ;)

While not absolutely required, I have bagged Wistuba helis for a couple weeks while they recover from their journey and acclimate somewhat. However, the last bunch I got in I simply put in a lower airflow/higher humidity region of my rack and they did just as well.

Just watch for early signs of desiccation for a couple weeks, it can happen quickly

speaking from experience but ymmv :)

Av

Last edited:
Hey Av, I kept them in the bag for the first week and now they are out. By any chance where would be the "lower airflow/higher humidity region in your setup? A couple pics just for fun, with the new light you can really tell the differance
Couple new pitchers
H. tatei
IMG_4197.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4206-1.jpg

H. heterodoxa x minor
IMG_4193.jpg

IMG_4208-1.jpg

New growth already on the H. heterodoxa x nutan!
IMG_4195.jpg

Any guesses?

IMG_4209-1.jpg

Are you saying any guesses about the last plant?? Looks exactly like my n. truncata did when I got it.

i can read the label on the last pic. N.truncata QoH x KoS !!!!

Hey Av, I kept them in the bag for the first week and now they are out. By any chance where would be the "lower airflow/higher humidity region in your setup?

Jayson,

In my setup that would be the lower shelf, especially on the right hand side. Before any of the airflow has much of a chance of being diverted down by the plants on the top shelf.

But for me, anywhere on the lower shelf is usually fine.

Nice looking plants, the tatei is classic
I take it you are liking the new light ;)

Once a year, put a coat of car wax on the reflector to keep it nice and shiny. This is also a good time to clean the bulbs with some glass cleaner. You will be surprised at the dust that builds up on them.

Butch

lol nice job Kgrudz, didnt even relize that. Thanks for the heads up Butch. Probably going to need to do it more often seein ghow my basement is a mess. Im loving the new light already! How long to you think untill these bulbs need replacing?

Jayson,

The lumen maintenance of T5 is 85-95% over the life of the bulb (approx 3 yrs in our application). There is really no worry about it getting dimmer with age. Cold spot temps on the T5 do increase with age, but most modern ballast designs incorporate an "end of life" protection circuit to prevent burn through. Your ballast have this, plus over current and open circuit protection.

There are some sources that speak of a "spectral shift" with age, I can't really comment on this as Ive not see evidence of it with my spectrometer. However, I cannot accurately measure output levels at specific wavelengths.

Some sources say 18 month is a good benchmark for T5.... but if there is an issue your fixture will shut down to protect itself. Ive experienced this once... put the new bulb in and everything was fine again.

They are really a nice light on many levels. There are some rare reports of less expensive fixtures without this protection where burn through has physically occurred as the cold spot temp reached critical.

Ron has experienced this with an unprotected power compact or CFL a couple times IIRC

Molten glass and metal is not a good thing!

Last edited:
Well I suppose it is time for a small update. I look back on this thread and almost cry now lol oh well...one day once I settle down. But for now I live in small dorm and finally get to setup the box once again, slowly adding dews and other plants that deal with the low humidity and wild fluxuations in temps.

jamiecamera032.jpg

jamiecamera031.jpg

jamiecamera030.jpg

Dew tray waiting to be filled
jamiecamera028.jpg

N. spectabilis x ventricosa flower
jamiecamera026.jpg

jamiecamera024.jpg

Nice little rack set up Jay! I see the neps are hiding in the corner :)

Back