What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

JBL's Bog

JBL

After two weeks of back crackin work, here it is:

084.JPG

Oh yeah, thought I'd add this shot of a copper top next to a deformed flava 'ornata' (got mangled/dessicated in mail but somehow survived!

079.JPG

Cool! Are you planning on just letting that fill out, or are you going to plant more things?

wow!! I love the flat rocks and the natural ones!! That's going to look amazing!!

Do you still have plants lining the driveway... or that huge terrarium in the kitchen?

Thanks for the compliments guys. I am letting it fill in silenceisgod. It is a big area (4' X 12'). Having done this a few years ago, I know that plants grow fast. No jimscott, I gave away all of my plants years ago. This is starting over.

Here's a pic of perimeter plants outside of the bog. The tall grass is Panicum 'Northwind' and to the right are equisetum, dwarf and giant. On the far left is a bald cypress that was left in a nursery pot in a black tub filled with water and neglected for four years!!
082.JPG

It looks very nice.

How do you prevent the smaller plants from being covered and buried in peat every time it rains. I tried an in-ground bog for one year and hated it. I dug everything up and went back to mini-bogs this year. They did do very well over wintering in it though.

It looks very nice.

How do you prevent the smaller plants from being covered and buried in peat every time it rains. I tried an in-ground bog for one year and hated it. I dug everything up and went back to mini-bogs this year. They did do very well over wintering in it though.

Good question. In the past, my bog was with a slight overfill of peat and I never seemed to have a problem. This time, I did it the 'right' way with fill slightly below the soil (read CLAY) line and it's a problem. Check out this P. ionantha after I excavated it after a recent rain. it was completely burried and it's not that small. I think it will resolve once the bog settles more--we'll see
080.JPG

Nice job buddy.

I was looking at the pic of your flava, thinking why is he standing in in the middle of his bog? Then I looked closer and realized that's not your leg, it's the flower stalk.

I was looking at the pic of your flava, thinking why is he standing in in the middle of his bog? Then I looked closer and realized that's not your leg, it's the flower stalk.

LOL. Now that just cracked me up. :-)) :boogie:

Nice job buddy.

:censor:You should be banned, you meaney. Are you going to pine barrens this July?

I was banned remember? I got banned the same time that you did.

I was banned remember? I got banned the same time that you did.

Oh yeah, but they kept you around for sport. They returned me to the wild to join my flock of chicken legged brethren. What the cluck?

They let you back because they feel sorry for you, which is why I'm still here.

Back