What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Extended photoperiod- accidental

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
So I was out of town for the weekend and had set up the lighting (80 watts, daylight CFLs) over the D. adelae to be on a timer for 14 hours during the day. I got home today and realized that some of the older leaves, especially on the most mature plant, were getting kind of brownish. Then I realized that the power cords had been switched by another member of the household who needed to use the strip for something else and they were no longer on the timed light strip. So needless to say my little dews were under the lighting for what could be up to 72 straight hours. I was surprised but the hygrometer read 40% when I got back so I am assuming that the humidity stayed within a good range. Obviously I have the lights off now but I am wondering if I should start up the lights again for the full 14 hours or give them a break? I am hoping they tough it out but I do not want to put them under more stress than needed at this point...I am also wondering if it is just under too much light in general as the lights are only about 6-7" away from the plants. I understand that D. adelae does not so well in the full sun but the person I got these babies from has similar lighting.

they might be a bit dry from the constant light but its not going to hurt them...

they should be fine. i've done that once or twice---purposefully.

Good to know! Thanks!!!

Back