What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Watering for a week

• Thread starter SpyCspider
  • Start date
My family and I might be away for a week next month without anyone to stay at home and water my outdoor CPs. Short of asking a friend to come over and water them for me, what other options are there? Does anyone use an automatic watering system and how does it work?

Or does anyone in Houston/Sugar Land area in TX wanna help a CP brother out? Maybe we can do a few trades too! Thanks.

Can you use water from your hose or do you only water with distilled or rain? It can be fairly costly to set up an outdoor automatic watering system, maybe not worth it to only use for a week. A friend of mine had puchased and used this Smarthome houseplant autowatering system before( http://www.smarthome.com/31102W/14-Plant-Watering-System-White-MM41425-White-Blue/p.aspx) But it wasn't the best built and only uses for emergency trips when someone can't come over. Depends how much you really want to spend though. Im far too far away, otherwise I'd offer to help LOL, I wish I had someone close by that I trusted to water my plants!

Last edited:
I would stick all the plants in a big tub of water, fill it up with water close to the top of the pots..
should be fine for a week..

if you are short on "good" water, I wouldn't hesitate to use tap water for such a short period of time..
ANY water is better than running out and going dry! ;) when you can get back, you can just flush out the pots..

how big is your collection?

Scot

2010-05-02+16_58_26.jpg

My collection's an alright size, I guess. There are couple of Neps and a bunch of various little indoor pots that are not in that picture, but those can probably stay inside and be flooded. I mostly worry about the outdoor plants.

I wish I had a pond right about now...

That kiddie pool is actually a really good idea. I would go with that for your outdoors at least.

Back