What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lizasaur

Charlatan
PICTURES (After My Grand RePotting!)

So, some of you may know that I've had a season from hell- First pests, and then evidently bad peat!

So, today, I finally had everything aligned. Fresh, brand new 1-gallon sized pots. A fresh bale of peat, 20 gallons of distilled water (the fish guy at the LPS where I get my RO got in a tiff with me), and even fresh perlite, which I dusted and rinsed without mercy.

I am SO sore now. I was at work in the garden for a solid 5 hours, feeling the sugars in my skin burn away, which leaves me the dumbest shade of pink. It wasn't so bad with good music playing (BrokeNCYDE and Victorian Halls, anyone?) and cold Dr. Pepper. But BOY, am I paying for it now!

I think what killed me, was just kneeling on the deck and being hunched over, mixing the 2:1 peat/perlite mix in a giant Sterilite tub.

Everything, with the exception of my S. Psittacina and S. Hummer's Hammerhead are now in gallon pots. All of my sundews are now in 4.5" square pots, except for my overzealous D. Spathulata pink flower, which is in a 10" round. All 27 of my typical VFTs, those are in uniform, individual pots now. I'll do the Neps this weekend, and my Sarr seedlings tomorrow, but until then, they're separated from the fresh soil so those terrible black bugs don't even think about weaseling back into my garden! The yard is a disaster, with all of the empty water jugs and old pots that I chucked into the yard like the March Hare.

I'm also loving my little N. Hamata. It's doing really well!

A few of the Sarrs are looking shocked, but I think things will be better now.

I also seriously need a little kiddie pool at this point. Definitely by fall.

Or this silly turtle sandbox on I saw on Craigslist! It's missing an eye. That would thrill me more than anything, because I could name it aPATCHee, and it'd be like my own Pokemon, similar to Torterra! :-D
Torterra.jpg

But no, seriously. NEVER again. Not all in one day, anyway. I can't even walk straight now! I don't know how I'm going to walk across campus tomorrow. Though, I am so, so happy that this is over with, and I feel so accomplished, and proud. Pretty much everything has new, non warped or brown growth coming up. Is niiice!

I'm most grateful to all of you for your help, reassuring, and suggestions.

Last edited:
Ergonomics is key. I use a concrete mixing pan on a bench at the right height. the pan isn't too tall so the media is easy to mix.

Good call!! I have four of those. :-D

Unfortunately all of my tables, benches, and chairs have plants on them XD

They'll be coming soon! :p

29fxvu1.jpg

My kind of garden visitor! (No Sarrs or BPs were harmed in the staging of this photo)

There'll be more pictures in the next week or two after getting a few packages!

Last edited:
You just had to throw a snake in there didn't you.. Great collection though!! I wish I lived someplace where I could keep all my stuff outside all year round.

Mass: Yes, I did! I absolutely did. She was out with me and wanted to see the efforts of my hard work =)
And you're right, it's pretty awesome being able to do that. Although once my sister moves out and I claim her room, I'm rigging a terrarium for the Neps. The heat isn't doing them any favors.
Come on down!! Siesta doesn't have oil on it yet, and we could certainly use more younger people around here. Right now it's like a living graveyard e.e
Kris: Thank you! ^-^ That's quite impressive, what you did! I wish my Lowes was cool and carried CPs still. No idea what happened with that. I haven't seen any at either of the two Lowes around, the Home Depot, or even Wal-Mart. I know a local garden supply store has what appears to be N. Miranda for nearly 40 bucks, and Selby Botanical Gardens probably has typical VFTs for some stupid gouged price. That's it though. You did a great job though.

I would be there in a heartbeat, but I just bought a new $60,000 house. So I'm kind of stuck here until it sells. A vaca is definately doable though!! I just gotta figure out where I'd stay.

Back