What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finished Product Pics

Silicone drying after Re-building it.

P7040082.jpg

Semi-finished product

P7050091.jpg

P7050092.jpg

After adding the Foil and touching eveyrthing up.

P7050097.jpg

P7050098.jpg

i smoothed all the foil down and added white comp paper all around to minimize the light penetrating the foil. the tube being fed into the tank is a repti-fogger.

-Javier

Just need some plants!

Just need some plants!

they're not ready to move just yet. letting the silicone cure for a few more days and also waiting for the smell to air out, i have the front slide open and the fan running to hopefully speed up the process. im hoping by friday to have them in their new home, ill be placing 2 n.ventricosa's, n.ventricosa x spectabilis, and an n.bellii x truncata in there. im going to stick my d capensis in there to see how it'll do in CLOSE to highland conditions, i feel im off by a few degrees in the night. high 70's daytime and mid to low 60's nighttime.

you should make a guide and price estimate for those of us that want to copy you ;D

looking nice,
did you use silicone to glue all the panes together, ive not had much luck with silicone sticking to plexi-glass , or other plastics, ive been using amazing goop(per swords advise) to do the first fittings, it really holds just about anything together,then the watertight seal with silicone, right over all the seams.
yours should as it looks like you used a good amount of the silicone, and it does eventually dry quite clear.
do some shots when the plants are in there,
congrats on the new nep home:-O

@Liz,minus the tools it only cost 26 dollars for the acrylic glass and silicone tube. the fan i had in spare comp and the fogger i got at petsmart for 63.59. all i did was cut all the peices and then you go around the tank with electrical tape taping about 3-4 inch peices on each pane to hold your base together while you silicone or goop everything together. do the bottom first. wait 4 hours and then do the sides wait another 4 hours and do the top. wait 4 hours between each gluing session so as to prevent things from falling apart while moving things around. mainly i realized that the waiting is mainly for when you get to the top peice seeing as it gets ALOT easier to do if your able to flip your tank over and glue it facing down instead of trying to manuever around everything upside down basically. i have a rotary tool so i decided to make the fogger and fan holes AFTER gluing everything together simply because i was tired of cutting and the rotary tool doesnt really shake everything as much as a circular saw or grinder.

@jimmy yes i did use silicone seeing as this is my first time and didnt know any better haha. next time i will defenetely do it the way you describe. i was just going for a quick and easy way just to get some experience with acrylic and how silicone works with it. it ended up coming together MUCH better than i had originally planned. the one thing i did which you cant really see in the pictures is that i left everything bigger. as in most of the panes (minus the east, west panes) overlap each other so that it gives me a bigger base seeing as i have a cat and he's quite curious.

i know what i'm making daddy build for christmas :D

ps. are you using distilled water in the fogger?

Last edited:
haha much better than building it yourself =] and yes maam i am.

Back