What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium shelves update pics

I took some new shots of my terarrium shelf area after some additions:

shelves3.jpg

I added the final pair of T5HO fixtures to each lowest shelf and the big wall mount oscillating hydroponic fan. I just love the fan, it's quiet and powerful blowing on both shelves and across the whole room so there's an awesome cool breeze, so cool i run it on med and still get chills sometimes! With all lights, fans and AC on hot days the shelf on the left is 70-75*F perfect for those cool loving critters and plants. Shelf at right is 78-82*F perfect for insects and warm loving critters. Insects were moved back to the warm shelf after these photos were taken.

I also bought some clear small storage bins from Home Depot to store my moss collection in instead of ziplock baggies. The moss cultures like this better not having a wet bag right on top of them. I spray them every day or two during daily misting.

shelves4.jpg

You can see the row of 10 gallon horizontal tanks on the lowest shelf the middle shelf will have a second row of converted vertical 10 gallons before Petco's $1 a gallon tank sale expires next Saturday.

shelves5.jpg

I picked up two 20 High tanks tonight to go on either side of the 37 gallon sliding front vivarium. I love this piece of lichen covered oak but I don't think I like the position of it so it will probably be removed and replaced by something with a more lively shape.

Nice...fun looking room to play in!
Very Cool! :banana2:

:0o: :drool: wow thats an intense amount of terras and vivariums. very niceee.

amazing swords. Man!!! Its nice to have a personal space like that. :)

Awesome setup! I can't wait to have a room like that!

O_O Dayum... look so cool !!!! May I ask how many watts you using to supply all those vivarium?

Wow, lookin good!!! Thanks for sharing.

May I ask how many watts you using to supply all those vivarium?
I'm actually only using 660 watts of T5 HO lighting. 2 tubes = 10,000 lumens over each shelf (equal to 4 normal output 40 watt tubes). I know there are real light-freaks out there who will say it's not enough but there are critters in these tanks who live on the forest floor out of direct light most of the time. The plants grow and bloom and the Nep pitchers color up, that's all I want so I'm happy with that balance.

The AC surely hogs more power than the shelves. I was afraid all the stuff in the room wouldn't run together: AC, Lights, TV, DVD, Fans, PC, Monitor... The AC is 8000 BTUs and runs a lot of the time, it will be nice to knock the electric bill back in September when I can shut it off and just open the window.

Very cool. I like your creativity with the custom terrariums. Could you take a close up of those smaller terrariums with the round lids? Or just describe if you dont feel like uploading pics hehe.

thanks

Those are the 1.5 gallon "candy jar" vivariums with a "midget louver" for ventilation.
I have a few "through the door" shots from those but I haven't taken pics of them all or from the sides. I need to get out paper towels and tongs dry off all the sides to get some pics before I move the inhabitants out to their new homes.

Anyway, here are a few various pics of them:

nano1.jpg

nano2.jpg

nano3.jpg

nano4.jpg

nano5.jpg

This one is a large size "Kritter Keeper" apx 9" x 14" that one of my tarantulas came in. I moved her out so I stood the container on end and modified it with some scraps of glass to have a single sliding pane for the front with a louver on either side for cross ventilation.

nano6.jpg

Back