What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transitioning from indoor to outdoor

pappydew

I hate bugs. Carnivorous plants get me.
I've got my mini-bog all setup and will be moving plants that have been growing well under CFLs in a terrarium to outside. I plan on placing the pot on the east side to get some less intense morning sun but am a little weary of placing it on the ground. Any ideas how to keep curious animals away? We have a bunny population explosion in the neighborhood as usual and would like to keep them from munching on my plants. I'm also a little worried about exposing them to too much sun all at once. The S. purpurea was the one growing inside and I literally just received the droseras (intermedia, rotundifolia, filliformis) in the mail so those are not in the best of shape yet. Should I first stick those under the fluorescent lighting (I have a spare fixture)? Or put them outside but in a more shaded spot? As you can see I'm still a little confused as to how to best make this transition. Thanks!

You can go with eastern exposure, shade, ot just putting them under something that shields the direct sun. Critters are indeed a problem that I haven't solved.

Sounds good. I'm going to try on the edging of the raised garden on the east side of the house. Hopefully that will keep the bunnies away for the most part and it will get some shade from the larger plants.

You can try placing slices of Irish Spring soap around the plants, bugs and critters seem to dislike that smell a lot.

"Manly, yes, but I like it too!"

LOL

Funny because I have a TON of it...and when it rains I get the extra bonus of washing the edging :-))

Alright, so everything seems to be going well...the filliformis and intermedia are producing tons of dew now and the purpurea is still adding more pitchers every day. The rotundifolia is taking its time acclimating but I think it will get there eventually. I actually moved the pot to right next to the house because I foolishly forgot about our sprinkler system. Hard water shower every other day = not good.

However, I am thinking that eventually I will need a new spot since I believe the pot is receiving only about 6-8 hours of good sunlight. I assume they need much more than that and since it's been a little over a week I am wondering if it would be time to transition them to a better location.

I think for most of the species involved, more = better. It sounds like they're doing great for the most part! As long as they're showing active growth, you're probably fine to move them to a sunnier spot.

Back