What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sand and washing sand

Does anybody have any easy methods for washing a bog garden amount of sand? Is the fill the bucket and dump it out approach the best? I tried using weed tarp as a strainer, but that took too long.

Also, has anybody used "Country Stone Kids Choice Premium White Play Sand"for CPs?

I am trying some with a sacrificial pot of sarracenia flava but I wanted to check on here too. It doesn't say anything about the product on the bag or their website. I tried the ol' vinegar test and nothing fizzed. It is nice and white with occasional specs of black.

I know that for everybody that tells me to steer clear of play sand, there will be at least one other person telling me how great it has worked for them. I've read enough posts from reputable sources both pro and con play sand and I'm running low on options so this is likely what I'll go with for now.

That is exactly the sand I am using in my pot right now, but it's only been up and running for less than two weeks so not exactly a good example. I don't see why it would be an issue though since most sands are already pretty inert as far as I know.

I've always washed sand for my aquariums using this method.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cleaning_sand.php

You can buy a pool basket and line it with LFS. Then pour the sand on top and then pour water through the media.

---------- Post added at 08:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 AM ----------

Or you cam use a screen as a sieve.

Last edited:
Sillica sand is definitely the best. You don't even need to wash it.

From my experience with play sand: it works, usually. If you can't get sillica, then I'd just use the play sand. Be sure to make some sort of pipe system so that you can suck up water from the bottom of the bog. Then you can let the rain rinse it for you!

I agree with SDCPs.. I bought play sand first, used it in one pot, and never used it again! It's too heavy and thick when wet. It took me forever to find silica sand, which is what I wanted to start with. Then one day I read a small article about media mixes and it said,"silica sand (pool filter sand).." And it hit me!! DUH, I know where to find it now. I use tons of it, and recommend it for pings, cephs, dews, and succulents/cacti mixes. Much much better..

Yep, PFS should be at any local pool/spa place.

I just had some of this on hand, personally, so I used it...is it bad to the point of killing plants, or just worse?

Now I'm curious massmorels!

The problem I had was that everyone was telling me the sand is illegal in CA. However, Lowes carried it, so I bought a 100 LB bag for $8. I've bought 3 more bags since (2 for my bog) My sand is # 30 size (pretty small), which is probably not ideal.

Anyway, pool supply places carry the stuff? Do they have different sizes?

And if you can tell me, what is the ideal size?

Thanks!

But seriously, if I could only have either perlite of sillica sand, I'd probably choose the sand. It's worth getting.

Yep, mine did a few years ago when I bought some for my aquarium. Not sure on the sizes though because it seemed as my local store had only one type. I want to say that # 20 is standard but I could be wrong.

As far as the "ideal" size.. your on your own. I could however use something somewhat larger or more course than what I have. I've got #20, which was all Meijer had at the time (Michigan's 1 stop shop grocery store, that even sells their own grown CPs!!). I'd imagine pool supply stores would have different sizes though. Don't get me wrong, the #20 is working wonders compared to the play sand that plain and simple killed my plants. For me, play sand + peat + H2o = cement.. not exactly a good growing media.

I did a 1:1:1 of the sand, peat and pearlite. Do you think the pearlite will help to loosen it up a bit so it doesn't turn cement-like?

Jpappy: Maybe, but if you're using # 20, then it shouldn't turn cement-like.

Mass: thanks for the info. I loved that comment on the cement!

I did a 1:1:1 of the sand, peat and pearlite. Do you think the pearlite will help to loosen it up a bit so it doesn't turn cement-like?

I use 1:1 peat and pool filter sand (silica sand) but also toss in a little bit of dead lfs into the mix, it helps loosen it but retain moisture as well. My plants love it, in 2 weeks my D. burmannii have gone from seedlings to the size of a penny! That's very impressive as they usually take a month to reach that size for most growers. So I'd recommend a little lfs. I only use perlite mainly for my sarrs and vfts as they seem to do better in a 1:1 peat and perlite mix versus sand. Plus when it rains the sand washes out and fills the water trays up and the pots are really heavy, so peat and perlite is a better option IMO for sarrs and vfts. But for sundews, I find they love the sand and peat with a little lfs much better than the mix I use for sarrs. Sundews have much smaller and finer roots so the perlite can hinder root growth and development, whereas sand is much easier for plants with small roots. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info!

I actually set it up were the LFS is at the bottom up to the top of where the drain holes are on the side of the pot. It keeps particles from being washed away but as far as I can tell doesn't stop any water from being let out either. But it's not in the actual potting mix.

I've got a purpurea mixed with dews (intermedia, rotundifolia, filiformis).

Back