What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all,
I'm planning on setting up a mini bog, and my question isn't about media, containers, etc., but about the plants in my mini-bog.
I have a Sarracenia hybrid (saved it yesterday from a nursery that out of nowhere stopped caring for their CPs, but kept charging full price, and it only says 'hybrid'), a S. oreophila, Drosera capensis, D. "Lake Badgerup, and a VFT.
My question is, when the Dionaea, and Sarracenias go into dormancy, what am I supposed to do with the Droseras? I live in Oregon, and our winters in Portland aren't very harsh, just incredibly rainy. Would it be best to re-pot the Droseras in winter and bring them into the house with my Nepenthes to grow inside, then replant them into the bog in spring?

Thanks!
Also, I guess I'll actually get on with that introduction post now, haha.

Given that the D. "Lake Badgerup" is on a completely different seasonal cycle than the temperate plants from NA (the sarr and VFTs) your best bet would to skip putting them in the pot altogether. Same goes for the D. capensis since it doesn't go into dormancy at all as you said. I'd pot them separately for outside growing and bring them inside when the weather turns.

Just my thoughts and others may disagree.

I assume you already knew that D.capensis doesn;t need dormancy, and they will most likely to get frost cooked by over the winter in a Mini-bog. I would recommend just use a large pot for your D.cap.

That's what I thought the case would be. I'd seen some set ups that looked nice with that mix, but I thought, "Wait, but.... that doesn't make sense."
The D. Capensis and Badgerup should be fine together though, right?
Thanks for your help and input! Now I have to find a good container for my sundews.

Let me correct what I had previously said. I confused myself.

Pygmies naturally go dormant during their summer, our winter since you are in the northern hemisphere, when the weather turns dry. So technically it's on somewhat the same schedule as the temperates but I've read that most species if kept wet year round can do fine. I'm not sure how correct that is so hopefully someone more experienced can chime in. I still think for the sake of making it easier on you and the plants that the NA temp. species should be kept separate so their dormancy needs can be respected.

The capensis could be grown outside during the summer and then brought inside and grown on a windowsill or terrarium or wherever it can get good light if your climate dips below 40F during the winter months.

Back