What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't know if my pitcher plant is dieing

Help!
I haven't watered my pitcher plant in two weeks, despite this, it has grown taller. It's browning near the bottom and some bottom leaves are brown now too. Is this normal?
http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/shoestringsoup/?action=view&current=P1010011.jpg
I know I need a bigger container for my pitcher plant but I'm not sure what soil I should get. However if it is on it's way out I won't bother.
http://s113.photobucket.com/albums/n229/shoestringsoup/?action=view&current=P1010009-1.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see any pics.

I'm not sure why they're not working.
I just uploaded my pics earlier today.

Last edited:
Here's the pics. The links were clickable for me but I figured I'd do this for anyone that had troubles.
P1010011.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

Leaves at the bottom to die eventually, so that's normal. There might be a few dying because you haven't watered it.
There's nothing a little TLC can't fix- it still looks very nice. Remove the dead leaves.
Well, you get a larger container with drain holes.
As for media, I use mostly long fibered sphag that has some perlite and orchid bark chips mixed in. It works great.
Keeping it in a smaller pot and not watering enough isn't doing it any favors, that's for sure. Where you keep it doesn't look especially sunny either. If you want to save it, then transplant it into a larger pot, water it regularly, and give it more optimal conditions for whatever species that may be.

I see pics!
Plant looks fine! :boogie:
Lower leaves often die off. They get old, less light, etc.
Cut them off near the stem. It is entirely normal!

Water the plant, and keep enjoying it!
If you haven't already, read more about the plants,
here and in books and on the net.
And don't worry! :-D
Everything looks fine....
(but do water, okay!) :poke:

I agree, just remove the dead growth and do a little fixing up. Most plants are pretty resilient and should bounce back.

looks like a ventrata, so it will be tough and hardy.

Remove the dead foliage and add water. The leaves look stressed.

The growth spurt alluded to in the original post could be a sign that it is stretching for the light, and would need more, as others have mentioned. It took some leaps of faith on my part, but I did build up the courage to put a few of my hybrids outside in nearly full sun, and are doing quite well! Give it as much sun as you can, should do fine.

As for media, I use mostly long fibered sphag that has some perlite and orchid bark chips mixed in. It works great.

I did what you said. I bought sphag, perlite, and orchid. However, I do not know what ratios or even how to mix these things. (How much of each do I use? Am I supposed to mix thoroughly? etc.)

I did what you said. I bought sphag, perlite, and orchid. However, I do not know what ratios or even how to mix these things. (How much of each do I use? Am I supposed to mix thoroughly? etc.)

As much as you want of each, are you sure they are non-fertilized? I'd try to get more sphagnum in the mix so it could retain more water, and equal proportions on peat and orchid bark. So it would be 50% Sphagnum Moss, and 25% Perlite, 25% Bark. :)

Media recipes are one of those things where if you ask 10 different growers, you'll get 10 different recipes. What are your watering habits like? If you're like me and aren't so great about watering regularly, add more sphagnum to hold more moisture. If you water very regularly, go lighter on the sphag and add more bark and perlite.

I agree that it looks like you have a N. x Ventrata...which is a great beginner plant. As long as you don't forget to water it for a month during August (as I did when I had knee surgery), or leave it outside during a frost (I have no excuse for that one), it will be pretty tolerant of a variety of conditions. Good luck!

Presto is absolutely correct though.
I generally use 75% Sphag and 25% perlite and bark. That's just guessing- I don't measure it out...I make sure it's fibrous but airy. For you I'd go ahead and use a bit more sphag.

Whoops, I forgot to check if all the things I bought are fertilized-free.

Thanks for all your feedback. :-O

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

I bought E.B. Stone Organics perlite and orchid bark chips.
I don't know about the moss though because its basically a cube thats held together with a twine thing. I suppose I'll call tomorrow and ask if it was treated with fertilizer.

Last edited:
What media you use will depend on a lot upon personal preferences. Some neps can be picky, but most are pretty flexible as to their growing media. I've used all the following formulas with success:

1:1 (Peat moss, perlite)
1:1:1:1 (LFS, perlite, osmunda fibre, bark)
2:1 (LFS, perlite) -- which is what I use today.

Ask 10 CPers about nep media and you will get 11 answers.

-Hermes.

(opps..never mind..I was wrong about my reply)

Back