What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello everyone!

I was a bit shy about posting these pictures of my most recent attempt to grow outdoor CP's, (all of mine last year froze solid, a good fifteen or so plants just gone!) but this forum seems very open and forgiving to that sort of thing, so, here I go! They are in a window sill box, with a fairly thorough job of plugging the one hole in the bottom for drainage. There is a slight leak, but its nothing too bad. My biggest problem is evaporation, but I catch rain and have bottles of the stuff I use to keep it wet/just a bit soggy. The Sarracenia in the back have been slow on the up-take, but are starting to pull through, and I have hopes for them next year. All my venus-flytraps are rescues, and as a result have been fairly slow growing. Again, I have hopes for next year.

P8070640.jpg

Further in the back is S. purpurea sub. venosa (i believe) and in the front is a S. rosa. In the moss grows D. intermedia and D. rotundifolia. In and around everything are a few blooming and seeding P. lustitanicae.

P8070641.jpg

There are those week Sarracenia i mentioned in the back there- a rubra and alata, and a very thin leucophylla. The first three were trades, the last one of which being a rescue, so, I'm just happy its still alive!

P8070642.jpg

A flava i got in a trade, just getting into a groove, and my rescued VFT, all enjoying freedom. In the back (not sure if you can see it) there is a D. filiformis that was fine but then went dormant in the middle of the summer! Too hot, maybe, who knows. It has sent up a very small plantlet off to one side, so, maybe it will be okay in the end.

Sorry for the long post,
CJ

They look good!

Very nice! I like the purpurea, very healthy looking.

Thank you! Yes, the purpurea are very healthy, despite a mealy-bug attack they had this spring. I really dont know what is up with the others. If they do this next year as well, I will have to look into my water quality and the like...

Very nice your doing well just keep up the good work, maybe try another place this winter with a little better protection.:-D
How did you care for them last winter , and what zone are you in?
I'm sure someone here lives in your zone and can give a little advise on what to do.
Though i think your doing well.
I like the red s. leucophylla, what variety is it?:0o:

Looking good!

Very nice your doing well just keep up the good work, maybe try another place this winter with a little better protection.:-D
How did you care for them last winter , and what zone are you in?
I'm sure someone here lives in your zone and can give a little advise on what to do.
Though i think your doing well.
I like the red s. leucophylla, what variety is it?:0o:

I live in zone five, so, too cold to just leave it outside unprotected. Last winter I kept it in my bulk-head, but they just froze solid and turned to mush as I unthawed them in the spring. My plan this year is to do what i do with my more tropical, non-carnivorous, plants- put 'em in the cool (temps around fifty or so) basement under grow lights with a nine hour (or so) photoperiod. The decreased light and temp will send them, hopefully, into a very deep dormancy. I will just have to make sure I dont keep them too wet.

And as for the leucophylla? I believe the one you are thinking of is actually the hybrid cultivar 'Dana's Delight,' the leucophylla in there has only four phyllodia, rather pathetic, and would be either typical or 'Tarnok.'

Thank you for the kind words!

Nice job! Nice plants!

Nice plants! You should add S. 'Dixie Lace' to your collection and possibly some of the other cultivars by Mellichamp/Gardner. Dixie Lace and others will easily survive very low temps. S. 'Dixie Lace' and 'Ladies in Waiting' are both cold hardy hybrids.

Nice plants! You should add S. 'Dixie Lace' to your collection and possibly some of the other cultivars by Mellichamp/Gardner. Dixie Lace and others will easily survive very low temps. S. 'Dixie Lace' and 'Ladies in Waiting' are both cold hardy hybrids.

Really? I didn't know about Ladies in Waiting, only Dixie Lace. Would it be possible to leave Ladies in Waiting in Pittsburgh year round, no protection?

Pretty bog, I really like those pings in there. I was just googling them before I saw this! lol.
About those hybrids that DroseraBug listed, they are really pretty plants when mature. My S. 'Ladies-in-Waiting' is a very pretty plant in the fall. I really like 'Dixie Lace', too. Great, hardy, perfect for harsh conditions.

Is that a piece of PVC pipe you have running down into the Bog? What is its purpose? Newbie here so go easy on me :)

Last edited:
It's to see how high the ground water level is.

Much better than what i got! What soil is that? The plants look to like it!

Ah, ok. That is a great idea. Thanks!

Back