What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terraium contest!

• Thread starter Chomp
  • Start date
Aw...

I had these guys continue spawning right next to my hand as I was pruning their tanks plants and replanting. they just watched what I was doing but went right on with their business. LOL

I use 6500K cos that's what comes with my T5 fixtures. They do the job and the color is pretty good, a tad blue in photos sometimes but doesn't look that way in person. I never much liked the "sunlight" 5000K GE Chroma 50 tubes they always seemed too yellow to my eyes. I had some 10000K ones in my original Power Compact reef tube setup which were crisp white but have never found those exact bulbs again. All the local 10K tubes at pet shops around here are 10K ACTINIC (blue reef lighting).

Fantastic RSS!! WOW!! WHere did u get those half-globe wodden baskets. Great way to grow small plants. :) I just changed the bulbs for my tanks.... what kind of bulbs do all of you guys use. My plants slowly declined since I got the 5000K bulbs and now I am going to try some aquarium bulbs...6700K and 10000k bulbs.

If you are taking about the plastic worm feeders, they are aquarium live worm feeders. They have a suction cup on one side.

I use bulbs ranging from 4K to 10K, I try to get 6.5K but you don't always have a good selection in the size/price I want and am willing to pay.

Swords....coral life sells a 10000K daylight bulb and it really does look a lot whiter. It has been a disappointing season for me...plants-wise...lets wait and see if the new bulbs help.

And finally a "normal" plain old terrarium.

Did you build that terrarium yourself RSS? Or where did you find it? Very clean displays. Nice work.

Did you build that terrarium yourself RSS? Or where did you find it? Very clean displays. Nice work.

We picked up that tank in Japan about 10 years ago when we were there. The only part I made was the wooden hood and of course added the plants.

RSS, I want to setup a "riparium" style tank with some hanging CPs and yours is super cool!

Wow, beyond any words. Wonderful terra!

Lets see if I can test the definition of terrarium :-D.

This is more of a dish garden inside a glass box than a terrarium.

RSS is #5.
Ends tonight!
May want to vote soon. That dosnt mean you can't still enter.

I'm late to the party but here's mine :D

I have a N.Ampullaria harlequin growing in there along with a venus flytrap, sundew and a Cephalotus.

These pics were taken at different dates.

DSC02058.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

DSC02337.jpg

DSC02037.jpg

DSC01334.jpg

DSC01546.jpg

DSC09774.jpg

here's the cephalotus I have in there. Not a current picture.
DSC09678.jpg

Cool stuff Ramiken!

My Biophytum is big and ratty looking but it flowers all the time but so far I haven't had any babies popping up around it. Is there a secret to getting seed out of it? I heard it spreads easily but not so far to any other pots.

My Biophytum is big and ratty looking but it flowers all the time but so far I haven't had any babies popping up around it. Is there a secret to getting seed out of it? I heard it spreads easily but not so far to any other pots.

Just let it do its thing my friend. My original plant died years ago, and i still have seedlings come up in a dendrobium's pot (which is just straight orchid bark) and several other places as well!

Just let it do its thing my friend. My original plant died years ago, and i still have seedlings come up in a dendrobium's pot (which is just straight orchid bark) and several other places as well!

ahaha this is true.

the seeds shoot out when the flower opens i believe. I have so many sprouting all over the tank, even on the highest places of the tank! I don't even know how they get there

raimeiken, Your gonna make me cry. I'm gonna need to look at those pics alot for terra ideas... I LOVE how the stick going through the center has plants and moss growing on it.

Same here, i love your terra :)
Could you tell me what the plants are on that stick ?

ahaha thanks guys!

the stick on the top has a small fern growing on it called "Pyrrosia piloselloides" mixed with Christmas moss.

the one on the lower level is Christmas Moss and a small orchid called "Aerangis luteo-alba var. rhodosticta"

Lots of great set ups so far!! But I have to say my #1 vote is going to RSS as of now..

It's not much.. but it was my first.

100_2069.jpg

100_2070.jpg

100_2071.jpg

100_2141.jpg

Nice. Hey RSS, is that a Ficus pumila var. quercifolia in one of your terras?

This is a contest for terrariums.
To start off, winner gets bragging rights. (sorry, I'm pretty broke...)
It doesn't matter when you took the pic, or when you made the terra, so long as it's yours, and you still own it.
There's no extra judging for terras with animals, but that doesn't mean you can't enter them.
Ends next wedsday, midnight.
If you have 2 terras, you can enter both of them, and it doesnt matter how many pics you use.
I think thats it, and for the reckord, this was completely inspired by SirKristoff.
:poke:
When does the judging begin wasnt this over last Wednesday, :blush:
I think RSS has one the nicest set ups here, but lets put it to a vote.

I didn't post for votes, just for fun..

But my vote goes to RSS!

Nice. Hey RSS, is that a Ficus pumila var. quercifolia in one of your terras?

Yes it is, I have removed it from most of them due to its invasive nature. The runners/leaves are not a big problem to keep under control but the roots just get into everything. The last one I pulled out had a 1/4" stem at the base of the plant.

Back