What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

May try a different approach to winterizing

The last couple of years I have winterized my minibog by cutting all the Sarrs except the Purpureas down to nubs. Then putting a sheet of card board over them. I then cover that with two bales of straw. And then another sheet of cardboard over the bales to keep them dry. I assume dry bales will insulate better.

This is my first bog and I made it using the rigid liner from a ½ whiskey barrel. I was thinking that since I now have an unused wooden ½ barrel lying around. I could invert it over my bog, and then cover it with loose straw. Picture a small hay stack. I would then cover this with a tarp to once again keep the straw dry and hopefully fluffy and insulating.
My hope is that by doing this I would not have to cut the Sarrs back. It seems like they should start out stronger next year. But it may not be warm enough. I am in Central Ohio zone 5B.

So am I :crazy:?

Hi Schejuka
Sounds like a plan, but there is only one thing that may be agaist it, that being the lack of air movement in a sort of closed barrel, could cause catastrophic mould and fungus growth and kill your plants.

if you have done OK in the other years covering them as you describe, I would be tempted to do the same again rather than risk loosing the plants.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
I had not thought of that, does fungus do better with a big open space?
What I really need to do next year is divide as much as I can. Then I would have several smaller mini bogs and I could treat them all differently and compare the results.

Experiments not anecdotes.

Back